Painting a bathroom

Old 04-01-08, 08:02 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting a bathroom

I decided to paint my bathroom a few weeks ago so I went to Home depot I explained to the lady in the paint department that I had a modular home and that the walls have a vinyl like material that comes on the walls. I ask her what would I need to pant over this and make it smooth. She told me to use a primer first I ask her what would be a good one for this. She told me to use this Behir premium plus oil-based primer & sealer. I read on the can and it said it was good for well-bonded wallpaper. So I primed my walls 4 days ago and the primer still has not dryed. I keep my house at 70 Degrees, and I have even put a heater in there for a day with the exhaust fan on. Still when you put your hand on the wall the primer is real tacky. Oh this is in a bathroom but we have not used it sense I put the primer on. This home is only 5 years old.
WHAT CAN I DO TO GET THIS PRIMER TO DRY!!!! HELP!!!
Thanks
Hilo

Old 04-01-08, 08:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
The people you are talking to at Home Depot have no idea what they are selling or saying most of the time.

Try this:
Technical Assistance
Mon. - Fri., 6:00 am to 8:30 pm PST
Sat. - Sun., 6:00 am to 5:00 pm PST
1-800-854-0133 ext. 2

Old 04-01-08, 09:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I agree with calling the tech support. Oil base is slow drying but......... it should be dry by now,especially with the HVAC running. There is a possiblity that the primer wasn't made correctly - if so your gallon won't be the only one.

I don't use or know a lot about Behr products but they don't have a good reputation. You will find better coatings and advice as a real paint store.

Old 04-02-08, 10:38 AM
H
Painting a bathroom

Hi,
Well I called tech support and they said to put a fan in there for a day, I did and it is still tacky. Today I called again and they said to wash the walls with warm soapy water using a sponge, and not to scrub it. Well I did that and now I have to wait another day.
I looked back at the calender and I was wrong on how long ago I painted this I painted this on the 25th of March and here it is the 3rd of April and the walls are still tacky. I really do not think that washing the walls with soap is going to help, but we will see tomorrow.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

Oh one other note the paint that dripped down the side of the can is still wet also. I now have white spots on my hands from picking up the can.

Old 04-02-08, 11:09 AM
Very curious.

Did Home Depot mix that paint color for you? If so, did they use the correct and compatible additives in the mix? This is costing you time and money to find a fix, you shouldn't have to support that cost.

Old 04-02-08, 12:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
About 35 yrs ago I sprayed some exterior oil primer that wouldn't dry. because I worked for a big company, the paint manufacture sent out some techs to see and figure out a solution - they air freighted out a special coating to spray over it.

Your best bet is to keep hounding the tech dept and keep notes - who and when you talked to, what was suggested.

Old 04-03-08, 11:52 AM
H
Another day and still I have wet walls

(There was nothing mixed with this primer it is just a white right off the shelf.)

Well, the soap and water did nothing, so again I called BEHR tech support. This time I got a man that said he is the senior tech there. I again told him what was going on and he said he did not know why they suggested soap and water that would do nothing. Well I had my doubts about it but I tried it anyway. He also told me that this oil based primer should not be used on vinyl wall paper. I should have used an enamel primer that is water based. Anyway, this time I was told to get a sponge and some lacquer thinner and wet the sponge with water then ring it out and put lacquer thinner on it and gently rub the walls, and again let the walls dry over night. So I guess I will see tomorrow if it drys.
Thanks again
Hilo

Old 04-03-08, 12:02 PM
Gosh, I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with this!

It doesn't speak very well for Behr paints if their technical people are giving you mis-information. Perhaps you should tell him you are sharing your experience on doityourself.com, a site with almost 150,000 members. Maybe he will wish to be more helpful, or offer some recourse.

Is the surface you're working on wallpapered?

Old 04-03-08, 12:12 PM
Used Behr in my Bathroom and that crap is soooooooooooooooo thin that I had to do 3 coats of their colored primer (I was going from a med purple to dark red) and then I had to do 4 coats of top coat to cover their PRIMER!!! It still isnt fully the right color it looks like crap. Since then I have used NOTHING BUT Sherwin Williams and that stuff coats (WITHOUT PRIMER) in 2 coats. Kitchen and Living room. NEVER AGAIN HD for my paint projects.

Old 04-03-08, 12:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
"this time I was told to get a sponge and some lacquer thinner and wet the sponge with water then ring it out and put lacquer thinner on it and gently rub the walls, and again let the walls dry over night"

Apparently what he wants you to do is wipe off some of the primer with hopes that what is left will go ahead and dry.

Be carefull with the laquer thinner, it feels cold to the touch but will burn like fire if you have any cuts. I doubt rubber gloves would help as the thinner would probably disolve it Store your sponge or rag outside when you are done.

Old 04-03-08, 12:47 PM
Hilo should also be using a respirator mask and running the exhaust fan...those fumes in a bathroom could really do some damage!

Old 04-03-08, 03:04 PM
That lacquer thinner idea is a very bad and DANGEROUS thing to do. I can't caution you enough on using it in this manner.

Turn off any points-of-ignition such as pilot lights on furnaces, water heaters, gas stoves, and use ventilation.

Man this is a bad deal as far as I'm concerned. The sponge and rags can also spontaneously combust under the right conditions.

I think I'll call Behr on this one, that is some really questionable advice I think.

Old 04-03-08, 07:07 PM
H
Thanks everyone

I just got back on and seen that a lot of people are reading this. I just want you to know I do take every precaution I can you see I have grandkids and do want to be around to see them grow up. I turned on the exhaust fan and I opened both doors to the bathroom plus I put an oscillating fan on the floor, and my house is total electric so no pilot lights. I do not have a gas mask but I did have a dust mask. I know it was not the best but there is not much walls to wipe so I was not going to be in there long. Anyway I did all this about 12:30 and it is now10:00 and the walls do not look like they are going to dry. Lets see I put this primer on the walls on the 25th of March and tomorrow will be the 4th of April. I have had advice from BEHR 3 times. I am not a betting man but I think I can safely say tomorrow will be my 4th time to call BEHR. I wonder what the good people at BEHR will come up with this time.
Thanks everyone
HILO

Old 04-04-08, 05:48 AM
H
I forgot to tell you all, I called back to BEHR after I wiped down the walls with lacquer thinner and ask them should I leave the fan on in there and should I turn the space heater on in there. I was told that just the fan because heat is not important for the paint to dry. I told the lady that the room temp is 70 but with the fan and heater going it gets up to 78. She told me again that heat is not important to the drying of the primer. Well I do not know about houses but when you paint a car heat is very important. anyway the walls still are not dry and here in about 30 minutes I am going to call BEHR again. This is really getting frustrating.
I am considering calling a lawyer and see if I have any legal rights.

thanks again for all your concerns everyone
Hilo

Old 04-04-08, 05:53 AM
H
Connie, Yes the walls are wallpaper if you know how 3/8 drywall in modelers come it has a vinyl type wallpaper on it.

Old 04-04-08, 07:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
A pigmented shellac is the ideal primer for these types of walls but they can be coated with a good oil base primer.

I think at this point, I'd give up on the behr and reprime the walls with either a shellac or a better brand of interior oil primer. Not a great fix but at least you would be able to finish the job and get on with your life.

Cold or moist air will slow down drying time. Heat helps but not as much as fresh air circulation does.

Old 04-04-08, 07:12 PM
H
The end is near !!!!!!!

Well I finally got a solution from BEHR that worked. I used the lacquer thinner and basically washed the primer off. This did not take off all the primer, but what was left dried enough to paint over. A BEHR supervisor called me, and he told me to send them the bill for everything that I spent and he would reimburse me for it all. They even bought me the gloves and a respirator to work with the lacquer thinner. I told the supervisor that I have been on the DIY forum and that most of you said that working with the lacquer thinner in a small space was not a good idea. The supervisor even suggested that I get the respirator. Well I do not think they will add any money for all the time and trouble I have been through the last 11 days. The good news is I should be able to finish my bathroom tomorrow.
Thanks again for all the support and advice
I will let you know how it all comes out tomorrow. so far looking good.
Hilo

Old 04-04-08, 09:19 PM
!!!! !!!!

Good for you.

Old 04-06-08, 07:10 AM
H
Question Done but not right

It seems that after all that I now have a painted bathroom. The bad part is when I was putting up the trim I scuffed the walls a little. I though this is no big deal after I was done I could just sand it down a little and touch it up right! Well when I started to sand the paint started to peal off, it did not adhere to the walls and was like pulling off cling wrap. Well I just shackled in the bad spots and re-sanded (very lightly) and touched up the paint. I just hope that over time it will dry all the way and adhere to the wall before someone scratches it and starts it pealing.

Thanks for all the support and advice

Hilo just waiting to see if it will ever adhere to the walls. Maybe before I am dead

Old 04-06-08, 04:14 PM
A
bathroom paint

Boy, you've been through the ringer. Hope things settle down from here on out!

Old 04-06-08, 04:26 PM
D
What you should have done ..............

Anybody if you have this problem ..........And sorry I couldn't help out earlier........You get a product called "Japan Dryer" I believe they have it at the Depot. You mix a cap full of this in the primer mix just enough to use at a time......And then Prime over the wet stuff it would have dried, Any ways any time you use an oil based product use Japan dryer "Follow the label" And you'll have dry oil in no time, Cuts dry time at east in half.

Old 04-07-08, 03:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Just so everyone knows - japan drier can only be used in oil base coatings - not latex

I don't know if it's the case with this bath room paint but latex paints take longer to cure than they do to dry. Before the paint has cured, it is easily damaged and may not have it's full bond with the wall. Give it a week or so before trying to repair the damage.

Old 05-19-08, 07:23 AM
H
Unhappy Good news and bad

Well the good news is Behr did pay me for every thing I bought for this project. The bad news is the walls are dry to the touch but you can still smell the paint as if it was just put on. I think it is just the oil paint that did not come off is not yet dry. I ask a painter and he said that since I covered what was left of the oil paint with the latex paint that it might take a long time for the oil base to completely cure. So it looks like I am stuck with a bathroom that smells like it was just painted for a long time.
I just can not win for loosing. Oh well back to the waiting game.

Old 05-19-08, 03:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Hey, I like the smell of fresh paint

The more fresh air you can circulate thru the bath room, the quicker the odor will leave - easier said than done

Old 05-20-08, 09:46 AM
H
the smell of fresh paint

Hey I like the smell of fresh paint to but I have a wife that thinks it needs to go. Lucky for me the bathroom has two doors so I can get it aired out sooner.

Thanks to everyone for the help and keep up the good work, there are a lot of people out there like me that need a lot of help. One thing I learned is the next project I do I will go to the forum first!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Till then I will just keep waiting for this smell to go away.

Old 05-27-08, 04:33 AM
L
If you don't like how it turns out, rip off the vinyl wallpaper, tape the cracks, prime it and repaint. I'm doing it right now. I can't imagine paint sticking to that wallpaper.
Most places are clueless when it comes to manufactured home issues.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: