Best quality flat paint and primer?

Old 04-06-08, 10:04 PM
N
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Best quality flat paint and primer?

Going to be painting a few rooms that have been freshly mudded and taped with new drywall. I've used two types of paint before - store brand Expressions eggshell(Behr rebranded), and an ICI flat contractor grade. After using both of them, I could still tell the texture differences where the joints were and I could point out every screw patch.

What brand of primer sealer and paint(want flat this time to avoid imperfections) should I use and have the walls uniform without skim coating everything?

Old 04-07-08, 03:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I would suggest buying your paint and primer from a real paint store. They can suggest the right primer and finish for your needs.

IMO cheaper grades of paint do little more than color new drywall. It takes quality coatings to get a quality job

Old 04-07-08, 04:58 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hey:

Yu are going to get a LOT of opinions on this one, from the pros. Most will tell you the box stores paiont is junk! I will say up front, I AGREE.. I learned the hard way.. Go to a real paint store like Sherwin Williams, bite the bullet and spend the $40 a gallon for the paint and you will LOVE the results. Think about it like you were buying a car.. There is the "Yugo" which in my opinion would be Home Depot and Lowes or you can get a Caddy, pay some more, but you will enjoy the ride and the view every day when you are done with the job.
That is my two cents worth. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
Take care
Dan in ATlanta

Old 04-07-08, 07:14 PM
Sherwin Williams primers and paints are top notch. I could not be happier with this paint company. Great coverage and washable paint especially if you choose their Duration Home line.

You can say goodbye to those taping seams and nail pops assuming you smoothed them out with the required three coats.

Old 04-08-08, 08:04 AM
N
I think we have Sherwin here. One issue I had with the cheaper paint too was roller marks, should I buy the rollers from the paint store as well and avoid the store brand rollers and brushes?

Old 04-08-08, 12:56 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't know if I've ever bought a roller cover anywhere other than a paint store but I kind of doubt you could get a good cover at a big box.......... and you want a good roller cover.

Old 04-09-08, 08:27 AM
S
I've been buying my roller covers at HD, and they are just fine. Unlike their Purdy brushes, the roller covers are not de-spec'd. I haven't had any issues with my 3/8" White Doves.

Certainly, don't get store brand covers, but if you buy quality, brand name, covers, you should be fine.

SirWired

Old 05-14-08, 08:13 PM
N
A day away from priming, found Sherwin Williams in town. They recommended "Quali-kote" hi-hide latex primer sealer. Said that it should suit my needs. Any comments on this type? The lady said one coat is fine. I plan to paint a flat light color but I really want the wall texture differences to blend and am willing to roll on a second primer coat...

Old 05-15-08, 04:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I don't recall having used that specfic primer but it should be fine. As long as no spots are missed, 1 coat of primer is almost always sufficent.

Primer/paint won't really hide texture differences although a cheap paint job may not adequately seal the new texture which can make even good repairs noticable.

Old 05-19-08, 10:38 PM
N
Turned out awesome. Very very minor 150 grit scratches in the odd places, texture differences are almost non existent, coverage was great. Looks so good I don't want to prime. Some guys were saying the Quali-kote isn't even as good as the Preprite, I can't imagine that it could get any better. Very satisfied, lets hope I can say the same once the paint is on the walls as well. It actually looks professional this time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: