How do I paint interior doors and trim without having brush stroke marks ?

Old 04-08-08, 08:20 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile How do I paint interior doors and trim without having brush stroke marks ?

This is a 'finish out the basement' project. Added a den area, bedroom, bath, and closed off the furnace-water heater area. I want to use a semi-gloss latex enamel on the doors, and trim. These have been factory primed.

What's the best way to paint without having the brush marks showing up after the paint dries ? I don't want to invest in a sprayer. The trim has not been attached to the walls yet. Doors, and frames are installed, but of course, the doors can be removed.

I read somewhere about using "the right brush". What would be the right brush for this ? What about paint conditioners, or thinning with water ?

Thanks, Grumpers.

Old 04-08-08, 12:02 PM
R
My approach to getting a nice, smooth look is to "tip out" the finish. Basically, once I've got enough paint on the trim to cover I go back over it lightly with the tip of the brush stroking full length in one pass. This minimizes the brush marks.

I use the same approach when using clear finishes like polyurethane to avoid hills/valleys in the finish. Poly levels out better than paint but you want to start out as "level" as possible.

Old 04-08-08, 12:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If you are using latex enamel I'd suggest a purdy [brand] brush. Pick one that will suit your needs. Another thing is to use a quality coating. Most of the better brands of enamel have better leveling out properties than the bargain basement brands.

Usually thinning isn't needed but a small amount of water may help. You can also use floetrol or XIM extender which won't reduce the thickness of the applied coating.

Old 04-08-08, 07:09 PM
I do this sort of work all the time. I use Sherwin Williams Superpaint semi gloss latex paint. I start with a Bestt Liebco 4 inch roller conditioned on a fresh newspaper. I roll out this paint on door trim and back roll with with a Purdy Brush. The doors I brush where the hinges are and roll out the rest for that slight stipple look.

What ever you are painting.....this will give you a very close and happy "sprayed on look"

Old 04-10-08, 07:33 AM
G
Smile Thanks

Thanks for the tips. I'll try them out.

Grumpers.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: