Best Brand of Paint?

Old 04-10-08, 02:55 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Best Brand of Paint?

We have painted (new construction) the bedrooms one with Behr and one Glidden. We are now ready to paint the living room. My brother in-law (retired painted) refused to use Behr again and was not very happy with the Glidden. What is the best interior satin wall paint for the walls and ceiling?

Old 04-10-08, 03:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums Kathy!

Glidden has some good paints but you won't find them at Lowes. You won't find any quality coatings at any big box - they are more concerned with offerring coatings that have a cheap price.

You should be able to get good paint at any paint store, just be sure to get their middle grade or better [they also sell the cheap stuff]

I've used a lot of SWP with no complaints. Benjamin Moore, ICC, Pittsburg Paints and others have quality coatings.

I'm sure your brother in law knows where to get quality paint

Old 04-10-08, 04:25 PM
B
Frankly, all the paint stores have good top end products. Different manufactures do different things to their top end lines to help them stand out, but over all, they are all better then the Big Box paints. an example would be Hirshfield's Platinum Ceramic products. these are made with microban to inhibit the growth of mold and mildew, they also use a different resin system that allows one to wash a sharpie off of a matte finish. Or another example is Colormax from Hirshfield's. This is a neutral base that is used to tint very dark colors. this product is designed to mar darker rather then lighter. Take a flat dark red and run your nail across the surface of another paint and you get a while line, with Hirshfield's you do not.

Accolade from P&L is a very good paint. It hides great and is very washable.

The main question is what did you NOT like about the Behr product? was it application? hide? did it splatter too much?

Old 04-10-08, 04:46 PM
T
Most major brands of paint have good, better, best levels of quality. Better and best levels of quality will provide the best performance. When someone buys XYZ's cheapest bucket of paint, and then criticizes the brand, it is not fair to the brand. Too, if the best brushes and rollers were not used, then there can be issues with application. If surfaces were not properly prepped and primed, there can be issues. It is difficult to assess the total picture without knowing all the facts. We have had been threads here where members tended to favor Behr's better and best paints over others. As indicated, the better quality paint at paint stores tend to be the best option. Buying the best paint, brushes, and rollers that budget will allow tends to provide the most successful paint jobs.

Old 04-10-08, 05:43 PM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For what it is worth -

About 2 years ago some college girl painted a wall in her bedroom fire engine red. I painted over it with a national brand's bottom of the line paint. Shellwhite or Dover (basically the same color). I almost got full coverage over the red in one coat, with roller AND cut-in brush! And this one landlord I work for badmouths that brand and says he only uses some other national brand. When I told him about this, he was sort of speechless. I told him it is more how you apply it and with what, than the paint.

This painter lady I know has taken up to 4 coats to cover cabinets. Wellllll. She leaves all these start and stop brush strokes and must not ever have heard of backbrushing or continous brush strokes from one end of the cabinet door to the other.

Old 04-10-08, 07:00 PM
T
So, the point is knowing painting techniques and knowing how to "start and stop brush strokes and must not ever have heard of backbrushing or continous brush strokes from one end of the cabinet door to the other?" Your point is not clear.

I have been on these forums for over a decade with marksr and others. For over a decade these pros tout primer/sealers. You can skip this step,but it usually takes an extra coat or two.

It boils down to priming/sealing dark paint with primer/sealer or covering with multiple coats of paint. Your backbrushing or continuous brush strokes from one end of the cabinet door to the other is not backed by research or studies. One successful experiment does not make a scientific study.
backbrushing or continous brush strokes from one end of the cabinet door to the other.
Today 06:46 PM

Old 04-10-08, 08:41 PM
"What is the best paint to use for a satin finish"?

This should get a few of us going!

For a durable hard washable finish that has a nice sheen consistency ....I go for the Sherwin Williams Home Duration Paint. Half the time there is some sort of sale otherwise its $42.99 per gallon.

There are others. Pratt and Lambert has some of the best colors out there in paint along with a solid coating. Ben Moore etc.

Old 04-11-08, 06:05 AM
E
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
So, the point is knowing painting techniques and knowing how to "start and stop brush strokes and must not ever have heard of backbrushing or continous brush strokes from one end of the cabinet door to the other?" Your point is not clear.

I have been on these forums for over a decade with marksr and others. For over a decade these pros tout primer/sealers. You can skip this step,but it usually takes an extra coat or two.

It boils down to priming/sealing dark paint with primer/sealer or covering with multiple coats of paint. Your backbrushing or continuous brush strokes from one end of the cabinet door to the other is not backed by research or studies. One successful experiment does not make a scientific study.
backbrushing or continous brush strokes from one end of the cabinet door to the other.
Today 06:46 PM
It almost sounds like there is some 'tone' to your response that I never created with my advice. Why?

I simply stated a fact. If someone digs into the paint with their brush on every stroke, or rolls out the paint real thin, you mean to say that if I backbrush, or lay it on thick, that I don't have a better chance of coverage, and I need science to back up that one statement? Is that it?

Old 04-11-08, 01:34 PM
SWP Cashmere is some good paint,and has great coverage.Benjeman Moore also make a good paint.Iv'e used the Duration exterior,and it is also a very good choice.These paints are pricy,but they will save you work and usually have more depth to the color. I have used Dutchboy lines and they are pretty good for the price{I think Dutchboy is Swp}.I was painting a Kmart several years ago,and the manager was upset because the specs called for Benjeman Moore.*He wanted us to use the Dutchboy that was sold at the store.I managed to get an ok on Sherwin Williams A-100 because the Benjeman Moore could only be bought at a small paint store that had it priced out of this world 42 dollars a gallon in 1994. The K-mart paint was 7.50 gallon,and he A-100 was like 12.50.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 04-11-08 at 03:13 PM. Reason: *Inapproriate remark edited out
Old 04-18-08, 11:18 PM
N
I'd avoid Behr as much as possible - it's decent stuff for the inside, I've used their hi gloss for some trim and it went on super easy.

I'm a Kelly-Moore or Dunn-Edwards guy.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: