Help! painters used wrong stain to recoat deck

Old 04-16-08, 10:17 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help! painters used wrong stain to recoat deck

Two days ago a paint company re-coated my 16ftx6ft deck with acrylic solid stain at my request. They left a can with remaining stain. Out of curiosity, I read the label, and it was Cabot siding stain -- not to be used on decks or horizontal surfaces! They should of course have used Cabot deck stain.

I haven't paid for the job yet. I am going to talk to them and tell them that they used the wrong stain (which reads in bold "do not use on decks"). I will request that they re-stain the whole deck. Questions:

a) Should I ask them to re-apply two coats of stain? The siding stain they used is a thick stain, and I am afraid of too many, too thick coats, and potential future peeling.
b) What kind of preparation should they follow?
c) Is this mistake a big deal, or is the "do not use on decks" just a marketing strategy, and the deck will remain in equally good shape? I guess it *is* a big deal...

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-08, 05:09 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 293 Posts
Deck stain is formulated for harsher wear than a siding stain. The siding stain will be ok for awhile on the deck but I wouldn't expect it to wear as long. Ideally you would let it wear for a year or so and then recoat with the proper stain but I don't know that I'd trust the contractor to make good on that.

Probably your best bet is to contact Cabot's tech dept and talk to them about it.

Old 04-17-08, 08:12 PM
I would be livid! Siding stain is not for horizontal surfaces. Foot traffic will take this off in no time flat. At the very least I would make them power wash all horizontal surfaces until this coating is gone. Then when dry apply the right stuff.

Old 04-18-08, 07:39 AM
M
Thanks for the replies. I called Cabot yesterday, and the rep told me that "the finish will probably not wear off well." She suggested two possible options:

a) I could "let it go", knowing that it won't wear off well.
b) Once the temp is over 50 degrees F (which is the case now), I could wait for a week until the current stain cures (to avoid adhesion problems), and then apply the correct stain (two coats).

I spoke with the painter (who told me that it's the paint store's fault). He wanted to come back tomorrow Saturday to re-coat with the correct stuff (the incorrect stain was coated this past Tuesday). I told him that, at least, he should wait until early next week. We agreed. Note: he won't take off the incorrect stain, just re-coat over it.

I realize that, ideally, he should remove the incorrect stuff, wait until dry, and then re-coat. But my wife really wants to use the deck now. So the question is: does the bad stain really, really need to be taken off? If so, I can make my case to the painter (and my wife)

Thanks

Old 04-18-08, 07:56 AM
M
Just a follow-up. I just called Cabot again today (Friday). And again they told me that my painter doesn't really need to strip the siding before re-coating with the deck stain. They told me that simply applying two coast of the deck stain over the (cured) siding stain will be just fine.

(The rep, who might have been the same person whom I talk a couple of days ago, again told me that just "letting it go" would not be a big disaster -- the siding stain will just wear a bit quicker).

Is it that Cabot stains (even siding stains) are so good? Or maybe the rep is not that knowledgeable? I know that stripping and recoating would be ideal, but we really want to begin to enjoy the deck now...

Old 04-18-08, 04:01 PM
M
Second follow-up: At the painter's request, his paint supplier left me a message to apologize and to explain to me that "it is OK to use the deck stain over the incorrect stain. There is no need to strip. Depending on coverage, one or two coats of the deck stain will suffice." I will demand two coats.

It looks like it will now be very hard to convince the painter to strip and re-stain (because of the labor cost associated with stripping). But I haven't paid yet. Am I a wimp by accepting the following solution: wait until siding stain cures, then two coats of deck stain?

(I should also say that the painter also painted appropriately an attached metal stair. Any power wash will surely "eat into" the metal stair paint, creating a mess)

Old 04-18-08, 04:11 PM
T
The Cabot's rep should know what he's talking about. For years, the folks on this forum have touted Cabot's and Sikkens as being the best for decks.

Old 04-18-08, 05:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I would suspect that 2 coats of deck stain over the 2 coats of siding stain would last longer than 2 coats of deck stain over raw wood. I don't think you will have any problems going ahead with their plan.

Old 04-20-08, 08:41 AM
M
Thanks for the replies. One last question. Someone once told me that, regardless of what you put on top, it's only as strong as what's under it. Or that a finish's level of strenght is the same as its weakest link. That is, strenght of siding stain + strenght of deck stain = strenght of siding stain, which is not appropriate. Is that so? If so, why would the Cabot rep have suggested that?

In any event, I think I'll go with their solution.

Thanks

Last edited by maestroperu; 04-20-08 at 10:03 AM.
Old 04-20-08, 03:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The siding stain should bond fine with the decking. The main issue is it isn't formulated for the extra weather exposure and foot traffic. Applying a deck stain over top of the siding stain should prevent any problems.

You could always ask for an extended warranty.