Removing Lead based paint from plaster walls... will this theory work?

Old 04-21-08, 12:13 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing Lead based paint from plaster walls... will this theory work?

Hi all, I have a theory of a method to remove lead based paint from plaster walls, and want some feedback as to whether or not it would be a feasable method. step by step instructions:

1. Take an orbital sander with a dust collection port (yes, yes I know, orbital sander+ lead based paint= disaster, but keep reading...) and then cut something to make a collar/gasket for the base, say a rubber plunger head, that gives ~ 1" clearance all the way around the base, and fix it so that from the surface of the wall to the bottom of the gasket, there is ~ 1/8" clearance.

2. Attach brushes to the inside of the plunger head to catch any dust the sander spits that is not being sucked through the dust collection port.

3. Run a hose from the dust collection port through the lid of a five gallon bucket, sealing the hole so that it is air tight and leaving enough length so the end of the hose is more than half the depth of the bucket.

4. Fill bucket 1/2 full with water.

5. Run another hose from the lid of the bucket, again sealed around the hole, to a shop vac with say a 5.5 HP motor and a HEPA filter installed, and fix the hose so that the end is only ~2" inside the bucket.

In theory, if the hose coming from the sander is below the water line in the bucket, the shop vac will create enough suction to pull the air from the sander through the water, which will filter the lead dust by stopping it from becoming airborne, and the HEPA filter will catch what the water misses. By making the gasket from the plunger head, what the suction misses initially will be caught by the brushes, and then in turn sucked up by the vaccum. Having 1/8" clearance around the bottom of the gasket will actually increase suction around the sander, and also limit the spread of the dust that the suction misses. Also, by using small diameter hose, I should be able to increase the suction even more. Of course, I would still be wearing a respirator, goggles, coveralls, etc. and be sealing the room off from the rest of the house, as per normal lead safe practices.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this, or does my theory seem pretty sound?

Old 04-21-08, 12:28 PM
T
Lead-based paint on walls is best left undisturbed. Seal with vapor barrier paint. Even though your plan sounds good, why take a chance with airborne lead particles. Another option is to simply encapsulate the walls with 1/4" drywall.

Lead-based paint info: http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/5054.html

Old 04-21-08, 03:38 PM
C
Originally Posted by twelvepole View Post
Lead-based paint on walls is best left undisturbed. Seal with vapor barrier paint. Even though your plan sounds good, why take a chance with airborne lead particles. Another option is to simply encapsulate the walls with 1/4" drywall.

Lead-based paint info: http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCPUB/PUBS/5054.html
I actually plan on encapsulating a good bit of the home using 1/4" Sheetrock, but there are a few areas where the lath on the old plaster walls is too deteriorated to make encapsulating a viable option. My plan is to remove the paint from the plaster, then tear out the plaster. I know I could do it all in one step, but then I chance getting lead dust everywhere with a two month old baby in the house. I will have approx. 7 weeks (evenings and weekends) to remove the paint before the baby is actually living in the home so that should be enough time for me to get everything done. Even though it's more work to remove the paint first, I know that I can then remove the plaster without having to worry about the spread of lead dust. Plus, I have the added benefeit of being able to see what's in the wall as far as wiring, plumbing framing and insullation, and make repairs as needed.

Old 04-21-08, 06:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
You are better off removing the plaster with the lead paint intact - seal off and contain all the debris in the work area!

Old 04-22-08, 06:15 AM
S
Each state has differing regulations as to how lead paint should be treated. I strongly suggest calling your local Health Department to ask for advice, and for the laws relevant to your area.

If you mess up, you are open to a huge liability exposure by anyone that sets foot in your house, one which may not be covered by insurance.

I don't see your contraption capturing nearly as much dust as it would need to to avoid pretty severe contamination.

Lastly, completely removing paint via sanding takes a VERY long time. Paint is designed to form a tough, hard skin when dry. This works against you when trying to remove it.

I think your best bet would be encapsulation with the appropriate products. Again, both your local health dept. and quality non-BigBox paint store should be able to help.

SirWired

Old 04-24-08, 10:15 AM
G
Although most homeowners can save money by doing the work for themselves, removing lead paint isn't one of them.

Set aside the mental retardation risk of your 2mo old infant, and the future sale of your home, any method you attempt is at best foolish, and worst deadly.

All real estate transactions require disclosure of lead paint. If you state your home had lead paint, then you must disclose of disposal methods/who did the work.

Keep in mind that any paint/dust removed is now considered "HazMat", and if you just pitch it, you are in violation of Federal Law. So what do you do with your waste? Save it? Hide it in the basement?

Hire a professional. You can't sell your house in the future without proof of removal, or proper encapsulation. And, your going to literally Kill your youngest with the dust you are going to kick up.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: