Ladder Work Platform

Old 05-02-08, 01:24 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ladder Work Platform

I bought a Werner AC18MT work platform for my extension ladder so that if I am on the ladder for a long time I can stand on a flat surface instead of the ladder rung. Now I find that what I bought is only recommended for the Werner MT ladder (like a Little Giant) and not recommended for conventional extension ladders. So far no one can explain to me why this is. My conclusion is that it can be used safely on my extension ladder as long as I am above where there are double rungs.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Old 05-02-08, 02:20 PM
If you are planning to work on ladders for a living, you can't beat the scaffold for platform work. Or planks between two ladders. But this is not nearly as good. I do all my work interior and exterior on scaffolding.

Old 05-02-08, 02:51 PM
F
I don't work on a ladder for a living, but somtimes it seems like I was born on a ladder just maintaining an old 2-story. I even got a maintenance award from the local preservation society. I have various ladders, jacks and planks for long runs, but sometimes there is a need to stand on a ladder for long times and it is hard on my old feet to stand on the rung. This ladder mounted work platform looked perfect for an upcoming job.

I appreciate your fondness for scaffolds, but scaffolds are not in the cards for this DIY guy.

Old 05-02-08, 03:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
How old are your ladders?

I remember the old round rungs being hard on the feet but modern day flat top rungs aren't so bad....... but a few inches below the knee, that's another matter

I don't know anything about the platform you purchaced.

Old 05-03-08, 09:16 AM
F
All my ladders have flat top rungs. The question should be how old are your feet not how old are your ladders.

You can Google Werner AC18MT to see the work platform.

Old 05-03-08, 09:27 AM
F
Go to:

www.doityourself.com/invt/8633356

to see the ladder work platform.

Old 05-03-08, 01:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yikes, that looks dangerous to me... but maybe I've just got clumsy with age

The next question would be what type of shoes are you wearing. My feet definetly aren't what they used to be but wearing work boots is probably more comfortable than tennis shoes for ladder work.

Old 05-03-08, 01:36 PM
G
If you forget & step off that when you start down, You'll surely skin your shin plus a few other parts.

Old 05-03-08, 03:29 PM
nap
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I would strongly suspect it is not recommended for use on other brands of ladders is:

Werner AC18MT work platform
only recommended for the Werner MT ladder
It was designed for use on that ladder and not the others. The rungs themselves are a bit different shaped than a typical ext ladder but most likely, the reason is that if Werner were to recommend its use on another manufacturers ladder (of which they have no control over the design or quality), they would automatically cause themselves some liability should anything happen.

the word of the day is: culpability

Old 05-03-08, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Yikes, that looks dangerous to me... but maybe I've just got clumsy with age

The next question would be what type of shoes are you wearing. My feet definetly aren't what they used to be but wearing work boots is probably more comfortable than tennis shoes for ladder work.
The work shoes are a great point mark!! I use work boots from Red Wing and a major improvement over the gym shoes!

I also wear volleyball type "under the pants" knee guards for that ladder work I used to do. Now only a few times a year.

Old 05-04-08, 04:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Originally Posted by nagra4s View Post
I also wear volleyball type "under the pants" knee guards for that ladder work I used to do.
That sounds like a good plan although the knots below the knee [from resting on the next rung] do start to disappear after a few years of retirement and then the hair starts to grow back

Old 05-04-08, 05:11 PM
F
The point about proper shoes is well taken, and I do have Redwing work boots, but don't always wear them. Shame on me when I don't.

I also agree that any US manufacturer of dang near anything is going to be sensitive to product liability issues due to our overly litigious society. The term is "Cover your Buttocks"

I finally got my extension ladder out today and tried the work platform. It works slick and I have no concerns about using it with my ladder. It is rated for 300 lbs, well designed and well constructed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: