help (bubbling)

Old 05-12-08, 12:38 PM
X
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help (bubbling)

Painting our new home. The only thing on the wall is builder paint (flat). We coated one coat primer and two coats paint, both acrylic latex Benjamin Moore. Our living room dining room is perfect. But when I started applying primer to the family room there was an immediate bubbling. I wiped it with a cloth and the primer and original builder paint came right off (right down to the drywall). What is happening and why only on this wall?

It is almost like the primer is dissolving the Builder paint?

Old 05-12-08, 02:22 PM
S
What primer are you using, and is this wall along the outside of the house?

SirWired

Old 05-12-08, 04:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
....... and is there texture on the wall?

Old 05-13-08, 08:09 AM
X
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
....... and is there texture on the wall?
I'll get the name of the primer tonight but so far the story is this

- new home
- currently the interior walls have two coates of white builder paint on them (Para if I remember) with flat (no gloss) no texture
- We painted over builder paint in the living room and dining room using 1 coat primer and 2 coats of Benjamin Moore top quality acrylic latex. Had absolutely no issues
- When we started to apply primer to the family room the bubbling occured.
- I also noticed that if you wipe the wall after the primer is applied you take off both layers of paint (primer and builder paint) right down to the drywall.

Old 05-13-08, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
I thought maybe there was an orange peel texture that had deteriated and the wet primer caused it to turn loose. If there was no texture maybe the drywall was painted [1st time] over dust.

Whatever the cause, you will need to sand/scrape off any loose and skim the the edges with joint compound before you can successfully prime and paint.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: