paint stirred not shakened?

Old 05-13-08, 09:32 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
paint stirred not shakened?

OK noob question,

I picked up my exterior latex paint and oil primer. Am I able to pick up the paint and just shake it prior to use or does it need to be stirred. I ask because I have 2 - 5 gallon buckets of the latex paint and stirring it I imagine would be difficult.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-08, 10:16 AM
S
If you can pick up and shake fivers, I will be very impressed... Seriously, just rocking the bucket back and forth is not going to work. The paint needs to be stirred. Two options for this: A) A five-gallon stirring stick, available for free at any paint store plus a lot of elbow grease. B) A stirring gadget turned w/ a 1/2" drill.

Alternatively, to get most of the agitation done, you can take the fivers back to the store you bought them from the day you want to paint, and they will shake them up for you. Then they won't need nearly as much stirring by you.

SirWired

Old 05-13-08, 01:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
.... or you can "box" the paint back an forth from two 5 gal buckets.

Old 05-14-08, 06:37 AM
P
I like your method if I understand right, your meaning of "box" means to pour into one bucket and back into another a few times?

Thanks!!

Old 05-14-08, 06:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Yes, pour the paint back and forth until it is well mixed. A lot quicker than a stir stick

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: