Interior Latex Paint Life, and Disposal?

Old 05-25-08, 03:12 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Interior Latex Paint Life, and Disposal?

Hi DIY's:

I've had our paint cans stored beneath the kitchen sink since we built the house 7 years ago. The house remains cool and air-conditioned. If the paint is still of any good, I'd like to buy some of those empty mini cans, shake up the contents of the original (stored) cans, fill the minis for household touch ups then dispose of the rest of the original paint. So then, I'm writing to ask:
How do I tell if this paint is still good?
Can I take it to Home Depot for a good shake?
How to dispose of the unused, original paint & cans?

I also have one big plastic tub/can of flat paint and one big plastic tub/can (both with handle) of some kind of putty stuff that was left at the site. I'd LOVE to get rid of this cumbersome stuff!!! But want to do so safely.

Thank you so much,
Barbara

Old 05-25-08, 03:38 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Open, give it a stir. If it looks and smells o.k., it's likely still good. According to the Lowe's website, they will dispose of old paint as an environmental service. Some folks donate leftover paint to charity groups. Some areas have centers to drop off paints and chemicals. If it is latex paint and there is just a little paint in the can, fill with kitty litter or sawdust or set open can outdoors to evaporate. Or, fill plastic bag with kitty litter or saw dust and dump in some paint. (Keep in mind that you do not want to fill the bag very full because paint will make it heavy.) Oil-based paints should be disposed of through local hazardous materials center.

I think I'd confirm with the local Lowe's that they will collect the paint if you drop it off.

Old 05-26-08, 09:07 AM
S
If there is any rust on the cans whatsoever dispose of the paint.If the cans are not full and/or cannot be sealed well and properly due to bent lids,paint buildup on the rim etc then it will probably not survive in a paint shaker without the top coming off or loose enough to leak(as a retailer I can't tell you how many times I've seen this).If you're expecting 7 year old paint to match perfectly for touch ups it probably won't.If the old putty you have has hardened you can throw it away in the trash.Many areas have specific landfills,transfer points etc for hazardous waste.Your local government may have that information available.

Old 05-26-08, 03:27 PM
B
Thank you all.

Barbara

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: