painting previously painted metal doors

Old 05-26-08, 08:19 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face painting previously painted metal doors

I have 2 exterior metal doors that need to be painted both front and back. The both have some rusty spots. I have painted them before with latex exterior paint on the outside. I have never painted the inside. Here are some questions I have about the project.

1. How do you take care of the rusty spots?

2. Should I prime the doors after sanding and removing the rust? What type of primer?

3. What type paint oil or latex would be best? I don't have any idea about the thickness of the metal.

4. What is the best paint for the interior side of the doors?

Thanks

Old 05-27-08, 03:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 671 Votes on 594 Posts
#1 - sand off the rust

#2 - you only need to prime the bare metal and rusty areas - use an oil base primer, preferably one that says rust inhibitive. If the paint is chalky, wash off what you can and then prime the entire exterior of the door.

#3 - use latex house paint since the exterior was previously painted with latex

#4 - the door should be painted with enamel. There is a sticky at the top of this forum section to help you determine if it currently has latex or oil base enamel. If it's oil base and you wish to use latex, coat the whole interior side of the door with an oil base primer.

As always, you will find better coatings at a paint store - not a big box paint dept.

Old 05-27-08, 05:27 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks for the help Marksr. I love being able to come to this site rather than just buying materials and relying on common sense. That method doesn't turn out to well for me most of the time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: