Applying Primer

Old 05-29-08, 08:28 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Applying Primer

I'm going to be painting soon, but I have some cord mate (wiremold) on my wall. When trying to remove it, some of the drywall is coming off with it, leaving the brown paper showing.

The damage area is right above the base board, in the corners where wall meets wall and wall meets ceiling. I was wondering when applying primer, is the same technique used as when painting. Since my damage areas is mostly in corners, a roller may not work. Thus using a brush to apply the primer seems to be my best option, similar to cutting-in when painting.

Is this an appropriate way for applying primer since I won't be applying it to the whole wall/ceiling, just the damaged area?

Old 05-29-08, 10:38 AM
C
Primer is applied in pretty much the same manner as paint. This raw, torn paper will produce a fuzz when primed. After the first coat, simply sand it smooth with some 180 or so grit sandpaper, then apply another coat of primer to smooth it for the final painting.

Old 05-29-08, 10:57 AM
T
Great sounds perfect. If I use 2 coats of primer will I still need to use joint compound? I though the order was primer (1 coat of Gardz), joint compound, sand, primer, paint.

Old 05-29-08, 12:44 PM
S
The Gardz will do a better job of "locking down" the fuzz than ordinary primer. It is what I would use... I'm kinda sure the fuzz would come back if you just primed and then tried to put the oh-so-wet J/C right on top of it.

You will still need to use J/C to fill in the parts where the paper has been ripped off.

SirWired

Old 05-29-08, 01:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I agree, paint/primer alone will not be enough to make the damage completely disappear.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: