painting bath room

Old 05-29-08, 11:45 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile painting bath room

I just stripped the wall paper from my bathroom walls. Getting ready to clean and prep but the walls will need some primer before I paint. Which should I use?? Oil based or a Shellac primer? Thanks

Old 05-29-08, 12:49 PM
S
If you have any remaining wallpaper glue, or any damaged drywall due to the removal, coat w/ Zinsser Gardz. I would say this would especially apply to a bathroom, since it is such a nightmare for paint adhesion anyway.

There is no need to apply oil-base or shellac-base primer here unless there are some water stains you need to block. In addition, oil-base or shellac-base primers form an impermeable barrier, which is not necessarily what you want in a bathroom.

If the surface was used as a painted bathroom prior to the papering, a good scrub with TSP might be a good idea before applying any coatings to remove old residues from cleaners or hairspray.

The key with bathroom painting is to make sure that the room is bone dry before applying your topcoats. This means no showers or hot baths if at all possible for a week before and after painting.

SirWired

Old 05-31-08, 06:33 AM
G
Smile bare bathroom walls

Originally Posted by sirwired View Post
If you have any remaining wallpaper glue, or any damaged drywall due to the removal, coat w/ Zinsser Gardz. I would say this would especially apply to a bathroom, since it is such a nightmare for paint adhesion anyway.

There is no need to apply oil-base or shellac-base primer here unless there are some water stains you need to block. In addition, oil-base or shellac-base primers form an impermeable barrier, which is not necessarily what you want in a bathroom.

If the surface was used as a painted bathroom prior to the papering, a good scrub with TSP might be a good idea before applying any coatings to remove old residues from cleaners or hairspray.

The key with bathroom painting is to make sure that the room is bone dry before applying your topcoats. This means no showers or hot baths if at all possible for a week before and after painting.

SirWired
Thanks !!! Yes there are some places with the brown paper showing but not to many. The paper was put up on bare walls when the house was new so you can imagine the pain in the arse it was getting it off without destroying the sheet rock. I want to go back with a textured orange peel look to hide any imperfections in the wall which I know there will be. Any suggestions ???

Old 05-31-08, 09:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Prime any areas where the drywall paper is missing, skim coat, sand, texture, prime and paint.

IMHO they ought to shoot paper hangers that will hang over bare sheetrock

Old 06-01-08, 05:58 AM
S
Originally Posted by gqlefty View Post
Thanks !!! Yes there are some places with the brown paper showing but not to many. The paper was put up on bare walls when the house was new so you can imagine the pain in the arse it was getting it off without destroying the sheet rock. I want to go back with a textured orange peel look to hide any imperfections in the wall which I know there will be. Any suggestions ???
Gardz has useful properties that will come in handy here. It will: A) Lock down remaining wallpaper glue. And B) Turn any damaged brown paper bits "crunchy" so they can be sanded, and coated with joint compound without swelling.

Coat with Gardz, sand, coat, prime, paint. You may want to try to skim coat with the joint compound to see if that will smooth things out before you go and texture.

SirWired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: