oil paint drips and looks awful. HELP!

Old 05-30-08, 09:38 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oil paint drips and looks awful. HELP!

I'm painting a steel beam. It was already primed and ready to go, and I painted it yesterday with Rustoleum oil based enamel. Today I checked on it, and the paint formed sags down the sides of the beam. The top looks fine - where the paint was able to dry flat, but the sides are terrible. They have drips and areas that look like "waves" of paint. What do I do now? How do I get this paint off and essentially start over on the sides? Oh, also, I used a brush, not spray. Can I try using some paint thinner perhaps to smooth this out?

Last edited by jeastith; 05-30-08 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-30-08, 12:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
I doubt if the paint is hard enough to sand or soft enough for paint thinner to work.
Probably the best bet would be to scrape off the runs and sags and see if a thinner rag will blend it in any. If not let it dry another day and then sand them out.

Thinning the paint a little may help you to apply it lighter so it won't run.

Old 05-30-08, 12:52 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, you're right. Tried paint thinner, and it isn't doing anything, and it is still too soft to sand. Ugh. I will try sanding it tomorrow or the next day. I am able to scrape off some of the sags though at this point. Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: