Painting Ceiling With L-Shap Room

Old 06-02-08, 02:14 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Ceiling With L-Shap Room

I have an L-Shaped LR/DR and I have a question about painting the ceiling. I'm not sure where to start. When I cut-in, should I cut-in all the way around the entire ceiling or in sections, for example box off the LR portion and then box off the DR portion. What I'm worried about is the cut-in paint drying before I have a chance to feather it with the roller when doing the bulk of the ceiling.

I know for the walls, I'll cut in each wall one at a time so I think I have that part, it is just the ceiling I'm concerned about. My walls will be a tan/beige color while the ceiling will be white.

Attached is a floor plan of my LR/DR that makes up the L shape. Any suggestion would be helpful.

Thanks

Old 06-02-08, 02:54 PM
S
My experience with my ceilings was that with the flat paint usually used on ceilings, you don't have to worry so much about the edges drying before you get a chance to feather in the roller. "Hatbanding" is more of a problem with paints that have a sheen.

I would divide that ceiling into three boxes, cut in the appropriate edges for a box, roll that box, and then move on.

That isn't a particularly big room, so I don't think you will have too many problems. Stick with a mid-grade paint from a paint store for the ceiling and you should do just fine. (I've used Sherwin Williams Classic99 and ProMar200, both in Extra White Flat, and had no problems.)

Some pros here prefer specialized ceiling paints, (such as BM Muresco), but I have done just fine with flat. (I didn't even know Classic99 came in a ceiling paint until after I started painting.)

SirWired

Old 06-02-08, 03:45 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
As noted above, most flat paints are fairly forgiving. I'd also cut and roll a section at a time but wouldn't really expect any problems if it was all cut in first and then rolled.

Old 06-03-08, 06:03 PM
D
Hey:

I learned from a painter, now retired that when doing a celing with white or light colors, no problem to cut the entire area in first.. BUT, he liked doing it the way it is described above.

I also learned the hard way when I painted a room with real dark colors and cut all the trim in first.. what I had? A real nice room and you could see every brush stroke on the trim. That is when he told me" Keep a wet edge" when using dark colors and you will be happy with the results.

Good luck and take care
Dan

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: