Spraying vs Brush/Rolling Oil Primer?

Old 06-03-08, 02:09 PM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Spraying vs Brush/Rolling Oil Primer?

My house is really sun damaged on the south side. I have scraped it like crazy to get all of the peeling paint off. Needless to say, the more I scrape, the more needs scraping. So now I have a lot of bare wood to prime. I think it would be most effective to just prime the entire wall than to just spot prime. Which would give the best protection and adhesion, spraying (I own a commercial sprayer) or rolling? Also, which would be a better choice for my color coat, oil or latex? My house is at 6,300 ft elevation, so between the sun and the snow, the paint takes a beating. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-03-08, 04:09 PM
S
Well, if you have siding, the best bet is probably a brush. Nothing else can work the product into the cracks and crevices like a brush can. A roller will have a tough time getting on the underside of the boards.

That said, spraying with a commercial sprayer, followed immediately by a back-roll or brush is a fairly common exterior technique, at least from what I have read on this board.

I can think of no particular reason to topcoat with anything but Latex. I would go for either SW Duration or BM Aura here, since you need all the help you can get.

SirWired

Old 06-04-08, 05:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
I agree!! Spraying often saves time but sprayed paint/primer kind of just lays on the wood. Back brushing or rolling will help to work the coating into the substrate.

Generally it is best to use an oil base exterior wood primer and top coat with latex house paint. If an older home has a poor vapor barrier, it is often better to use a latex primer.

SirWired - does Aura come in exterior too? I thought it was just an interior line..... but I usually use SWP, seldom any BM.

Old 06-04-08, 07:59 AM
S
I am a SWP user too, but I just checked the BM website, and Aura does indeed come in an Exterior forumalation...

SirWired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: