rasberry coloured paint

Old 06-07-08, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
rasberry coloured paint

I have been trying to paint a pinkish rasberry coulored paint. This is by far the worst time I ever had getting paint to cover. In these pictures you can see the results of 4 coats of paint. The first picture is an accent wall I did a few years ago in red. The red coverd in one coat over a gray primer.,,, I am really tired of painting these walls, and I'm looking for suggestions. I'm thinking about doing some kind of faux finish or rag roll using this rasberry as a base coat. Any suggestions? We might as well have fun with this situation and try something. The way this paint is covering, it's going to take 4 more coats. Let me add, this is not cheap paint,but I think a flat would have covered better than this eggshell. http://babysbathroom.blogspot.com/

Last edited by rebeljeep; 06-07-08 at 01:17 PM. Reason: FORGOT TO POST LOINK
Old 06-07-08, 02:29 PM
S
What brand / grade of paint are you using here?

In any case, the trick with red is to really slather the paint on, as thick as you can, (without sagging, dripping, or running) with every single coat.

A full roller-load (assuming a 3/8" roller) will cover a single floor to ceiling stripe. That's it. (That is actually the case with any color, but it is more obvious with red.) When brushing red, go forward once to apply, back once to smooth, and move on; overbrushing will result in a too-thin coat.

SirWired

Old 06-07-08, 02:55 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 672 Votes on 595 Posts
Pinks and yellows are always the hardest colors to get coverage with. As SirWired alluded to, not all brands are equal and there are a few of the better, higher priced coatings that are a bear to get coverage with these colors.

It's also important to apply correctly using quality applicators.

If you change gears now, you may or may not be satisfied with a faux finish because the base can affect the look of the finished product.

Old 06-07-08, 07:46 PM
Thanks for the info. At this point it looks like I'm going to have to paint this wall at least several more times.___ Question is, how do I get out of this? Aside from wallpapering, can I go back and reprime this and start over a new color? My concern is that the paint is new and it has to cure for awhile before applying somthing like zinnsar 123 primer. At this point I'm not real picky about the color as long as it covers in a few coats. This rasberry paint is translusent,and I don't even know how this stuff can be sold without some sort of disclaimer. I have done a lot of painting. Iv'e done bridges, watertowers, storage silos, and all kinds of commercial buildings, Iv'e even done a lot of red and yellows. But iv'e never done this color before,and it's really got me,because it's 10 times worse than red. And I mean 10 times because I did the cosmetic section at a K-mart several years ago and it took 4 coats over a white primer. I found out later that you darn near paint red in one coat over gray primer,if it's good paint. If you look at my blog, the first picture is my living room. It's pure red over gray primer and covered in one coat,and I didn't have to slather it one and wet edge it or anything.

Old 06-07-08, 09:28 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Grade and quality of paint as well as grade and quality of applicators (rollers/brushes) can affect finishes. Too, paint can vary from what it appears on paint chips. Paint can also vary throughout the day, i.e., natural vs artificial light. Textured walls can affect paint color due to refraction of light.

You are not alone in reporting that working with rich reds that you are dissatisfied with the finished product. Many report brush and roller marks.

Not to criticize, but baby rooms should be soft and soothing and relaxing. Most bathrooms are in soft and soothing colors.

If you want to seal off your nightmare, then you need to use a a couple coats of primer. Many tend to recommend using a gray-based primer/sealer when coating over reds. Consult with the paint professional at a local name-brand paint store, not your big box.

Old 06-08-08, 06:16 PM
S
Again, what brand and line of paint did you choose? You may be able to fix your problem by choosing a different product. (i.e., if you are trying to coat with Behr... well, your problems will probably disappear with one or two coats of SWP ColorAccents)

If you decide you do not like the color you have now, I would give it one coat of a high-hide primer (SWP PrepRite 200 would be a good choice), and then two coats of the new color of your choice. The paint store should be able to direct to the appropriate product.

If your new color is also deep, have the primer appropriately grey-tinted. (You may have to use a special primer meant to go under deep colors.)

SirWired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: