What role does the "Base" paint play in the paint mixture?

Old 06-09-08, 11:40 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What role does the "Base" paint play in the paint mixture?

I recently painted my apartment. The first batch of paint I got was mixed with Base 1 and it came out well. In fact I only needed 1 coat as it provided good coverage. The second batch of paint (got it from the same place, same brand, same colour but a different person who mixed it) used Base 2 as the shop ran out of Base 1. This time round, the paint was "thin". The coverage was pretty bad as the old paint (a very tired white) was showing through easily. I had to go around with a second coat of paint and it still turns out splotchy. The guy who mixed the second batch hinted that it might be because of Base 2. Can anyone explain what's the difference between these Bases and what role they play in "thinning" out paint? I don't quite believe the man.

Old 06-09-08, 12:47 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
You should return the paint mixed with Base 2 or at least complain because this paint was incorrectly mixed.Base is an lower pigmented paint that is designed to have additional pigment added to make a complete paint product that is the desired color.By using a different base the person doing this job used a base with too low amount of originally added pigmentation etc.

NEVER let anyone mix paint any other way than the manufacturers formula to 100% accuracy.You cannot substitute bases with mixed paint.Unfortunately the person doing this was poorly trained or untrained.

Old 06-09-08, 12:58 PM
T
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Benjamin Moore describes their paint bases as follows:

Pastel Base (1)

Medium Base (2)

Deep Base (3)

Ultra Deep Base (4)

I can't imagine that there would be a different in the thickness of the paint. These are all tint bases. What makes them different is the amount of pigment in them.

Old 06-09-08, 06:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 674 Votes on 597 Posts
There are differences in the tint base! Tinting the wrong base can result in poor coverage. The paint store should mix you more paint in the correct base for free!!!

Did you buy the paint at a real paint store or a big box paint dept?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: