Removing / Painting over Crackle Paint

Old 06-09-08, 06:51 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing / Painting over Crackle Paint

I have just bought a house and the living room has this crackle paint (its a violet over a purple ).
Its falling off in places but in others, the stuff is on solid. removal on one wall by applying some ammonia based cleaner adn scraping has left behind many, many Spackle spots.

Is there an easier way of getting rid of this stuff?

I cant just paint over it as it clearly isnt on strong in places.

Thanks in advance

Old 06-11-08, 02:46 PM
C
Update

For those interested I have had several people look at it and each have told me its a ***** to get off and re-sheet rocking is the best solution

Off I go to a sheetrocking Thread!

Old 06-11-08, 05:16 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

As you know, for a successfull paint job, you need to remove any of the coatings that aren't bonded to the drywall. You know better than any of us here what that will entail on your walls.

I would hope that rerocking the room would be an over reaction. Besides dealing with the mess of removal, it all has to be finished........ although you could apply drywall over the existing wall and skip the removal process. It would mean altering woodwork and you may need to add extension boxes to the electrical.

I'd scrape off what I could and then patch and skim coat the current wall. A lot of work but it should be quicker and easier than replacing the drywall.

Old 06-17-08, 08:34 PM
C
The problem is in places it is peeling off itself and others its stuck on. Seems a bigger job to reskim, and then I am skimming on peeling paint

3 contractors all told me the same thing...sheetrock.

I am going to extend electrics, wood panels etc and sheetrock

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: