Getting Paint on Patched Holes to Match

Old 06-13-08, 02:46 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Getting Paint on Patched Holes to Match

Is there anyway to paint patch holes in my walls and have the paint colors match?

I have a bunch of small holes from moving furniture around, mostly in the hallway. I cant get the paint to match. The paint i am using is the original can and also used the original primer. The paint is 5 years old and water based valspar from lowes. Is there a way i can really get it to look better. I have patched holes before and they didnt look so bad. From reading it seems the walls accumulate dirt/dust, etc and the color is different. I would like not to have to repaint all the walls, it will require a lot of masking since its the hallway with all the doors..

Any suggestions from professionals?

Could i get a sample of the new color and have the paint color matched and maybe it will match better?

I am hoping someone out there has some experience with this.

TIA

J

Old 06-13-08, 04:20 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 681 Votes on 602 Posts
I've done a lot of paint touch up. It works best when the paint job is fairly new but that is no garuntee. It helps to have a lot of experience so you can look and pretty much know how likely the touch up will show. 5 yr old paint job makes this job more difficult.

Generally corners and areas close to trim [or anything that breaks up the line of sight] touch up better than open walls. Often it is best to use a roller - roll the repair as you normally wood and then using a dry roller, feather it out. I have been succesfull, touching up rentals and model homes by rolling the entire wall and only touching up the cut in work where needed - this often means you can skip cutting the top 1/3 of the wall. Some walls may not need any cut in work.

A trained eye [and someone who knows where] can usually spot touch ups - the trick is to get them good enough where you have to hunt for them - not where they will jump out at you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: