Steps to Prim Wall for Paint - In What Order?

Old 06-14-08, 07:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Steps to Prim Wall for Paint - In What Order?

I just removed the wallpaper and backing from my master bath. I'm left with drywall, little bits of glue that a I can not get off, and a whole in the wall about 1" x 4" that was discovered after removing the paper.

So my question is - what are the next steps I'm to take to prep the wall for painting?

I was told by the local Home Depot guy to use Guardz first, then to us joint compound to smooth out the wall, sand, prime then paint.

Another lady told me to repair the wall first, then too smooth out the wall, use a mixture of joint compound/latex paint/water to "skim" the wall (said I can use a roller with this solution since I'm not a pro at skimming), then sand, Guardz, prime then paint. She said that the joint compoud is very porous and that repairs should be under the Guardz - not over.

UGH - what are the proper steps?

Old 06-19-08, 01:18 PM
T
I was recently in a similar situation where I had to repair the wall in my living room before painting.

Take a look here:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=346962

What I did was put 2 coast of Guardz on the damaged area with about 24hrs between coats. I then used J/C to smooth out the wall. I primed again and was ready to paint. After painting, it is not even noticeable now. From my understanding like you said, J/C is very porous. That's why sealing it before and after will prevent any moisture from coming in contact with it.

I'm not at all a pro by any means, but my suggestion would be to:
1)Prime with Guardz
2)Use J/C
3)Sand
4)Prime
5)Paint

Hope this helps

Old 06-19-08, 04:11 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
Gardz goes first, as it seals the gypsum in the drywall so it does not absorb the moisture in the joint compound. I would skim with just joint compound, the recipe you were given in your second suggestion sounds like a nightmare. Twodaend's steps look good to me.

What kind of primer and paint do you plan to use?

Old 06-20-08, 05:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
I agree, I'd sand first and then apply the gardz. You can probably get by with tape and joint compound for your 1" wide hole. I would also skim with joint compound - it isn't all that hard, if you need to, break up the wall into managable squares, skim them and sand the wall when done.

Old 06-24-08, 12:27 PM
Thank you all for your replies.

Another question: What's the best way to sand the drywall? I've done a small patch at there is white dust everywhere!!! Is there an attachment or something I can use with my wet/dry vac?

There's got to be an better way than working in a big white cloud!!!

Old 06-24-08, 01:15 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 384 Votes on 340 Posts
There is a sander that comes with or hooks up to a shop vac but I've never used it - don't know much about it You might could rent one.

Are you hand sanding or using a power sander? I always use a pole sander - basically a 1/2 sheet of sandpaper attached to the end of a pole. I hate to sand so I'll opt for an extra coat of mud if it will make for less sanding You can also use a wet sponge to smooth out the drywall. Basically it rewets/softens the j/c and smears it smooth. You can't level out big ridges or lumps in this manner but it works great on repairs were dust is a concern.

Old 06-24-08, 03:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
We have kind of a messy painter and he needs to mud once in a while - he's actually gotten pretty good with the wet sponge.

Old 06-26-08, 09:38 AM
Thank you both for your replies. I will look for that sanding attachment today!

This is my first experiance with j/c and skimming and it's not as easy as I thought I really have a lot of sanding to do to even out the rough spots. Not to mention, where I repaired the wall where the medicine cabinet used to be.

Ugh...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: