Stripping Paint (off the wall this time)

Old 07-06-08, 12:06 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stripping Paint (off the wall this time)

Is there a better way to remove the four (!) layers of paint under the wallpaper I am trying to remove from my bathroom walls than using a scraper and vinegar without using lots of chemicals?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-08, 04:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 312 Votes on 278 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Walls aren't a good substrate for chemical stripping. Usually it is best to scrape and sand what you can and then apply joint compound to level it out.

Old 07-08-08, 01:36 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I guess the question that needs to be asked: Why do you need to strip? Four coats of residential paint is nothing... each individual coat is quite thin.

I don't see vinegar doing anything at all... I can't think of anything in it that is going to loosen paint.

If you just want to re-finish the walls, remove the paper, get the glue off (or top-coat the glue with Gardz), skim-coat to even out whatever damage the removal did, prime, and then topcoat with the quality bathroom paint of your choice.

Now, if any of those four layers are not adhering well, then you do indeed need to scrape/sand all of the failing patches of paint, but there is no need to strip anything that is stuck on well.

SirWired