Old bath, old paint, help!

Old 07-08-08, 03:36 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Old bath, old paint, help!

I have a bathroom (about 8x12 feet) with paint and plaster dating to 1912 or thereabouts. The last paint--done over scraped, cleaned, primed walls-- peeled.
I have used peel-away (SP) on one small upper wall--it's down to original plaster I think. But the lower walls were lined to imitate tile or brick and will be difficult. Am I headed the right direction with this stuff? And how do I figure when it's better, and relatively cost efficient, to take out the plaster and put in new walls?! Woodwork is original but painted and also needs repainting.
I'd appreciate advice, resources, whatever!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-08, 07:16 PM
P
Coat all the walls with plaster weld or a similar product. It's a glue designed specifically for plaster walls that goes on like paint. You can then skim coat the walls with compound or plaster, thereby removing all imperfections in the wall. Then paint.

Old 07-09-08, 05:16 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
Any paint chips/dust might contain lead! The oil base enamels originally used on the walls and woodwork would have been lead based. Use due care both wrking with and disposing of the paint chips!

The woodwork can be repainted using an oil base enamel but if you wish to switch to latex, they will need a solvent based primer if the current finish is oil based. There is a sticky at the top of this forum to help you determine if the paint is oil or latex.

Old 07-09-08, 08:09 AM
M
Originally Posted by ppspens View Post
Coat all the walls with plaster weld or a similar product. It's a glue designed specifically for plaster walls that goes on like paint. You can then skim coat the walls with compound or plaster, thereby removing all imperfections in the wall. Then paint.
Can plaster weld be done with walls "as is" or do I still need to do all that stripping first?

Marksr, thanks for the warning about lead--I am aware of that and being cautious

Old 07-09-08, 01:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've never used the plaster weld but I assume the only prep would be to remove any loose paint.

Generally there is no need to strip paint that is bonded to the wall.

Old 07-09-08, 01:16 PM
M
Ok. I found some helpful info on the Plasterweld website as well as in looking through the Forums here. Thanks!!

Old 07-11-08, 11:51 AM
M
Originally Posted by ppspens View Post
More questions! My ceiling is in great shape--I f I do the plaster Weld/skim coat/paint on walls, do I have to do the ceiling also, ot can I just clean and paint? Thanks for the help!

Old 07-11-08, 01:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If the ceilings are in good shape they shouldn't need anything but paint.