Sherwin Wms vs Ben Moore? carport paint? how to paint aluminum siding?

Old 07-10-08, 12:21 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Sherwin Wms vs Ben Moore? carport paint? how to paint aluminum siding?

I've read lots of discussion on choosing Ben Moore over Behr but not much about how Sherwin Wms compares to Ben Moore. I am planning to hire out my exterior paint job b/c of the high eaves on the back side of the house which will require ladders. What SW paint is comparable to BM? What is Super Paint? Duration?

I have aluminum siding under eaves. I know this should be pressure washed, bleach rinsed and primed. But, what type of paint is best on the aluminum? Oil or latex? I believe I have a water based paint on the exterior right now. 70% alcohol removes the paint on a rag.

I have a carport floor that needs repainting as well. Any recommendations on type of paint to use there?

Berryfield

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-08, 01:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 321 Votes on 285 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Super paint is one of SWP's better lines of paint. Duration is their best line of paint. You will always find better coatings at your local paint store versus any big box paint dept.

Generally latex paints do better on aluminum. Latex doesn't dry as hard as oil base and can flex a little without sacrificing it's bond to the substrate.

Old coatings [especially factory aluminum] have a tendacy to oxidize/chalk. This chalky substance must be removed so the paint can bond. Often it isn't feasable to remove 100% of the chalk - so it's best to add emulsa bond to the first coat of latex paint.

I'm not fond of painting concrete floors because they often have a high paint failure rate if the floor currently is unpainted or most of the paint removed - I'd recomend a concrete stain.