Painting a bathroom ceiling that has mold

Old 07-16-08, 09:23 AM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting a bathroom ceiling that has mold

I am painting a bathroom ceiling with mold spores. I washed and cleaned with bleach months ago but it came back. There is no fan in the bathroom. I am going to scrape the peeling paint and wash the ceiling with a TSP/bleach solution then I am going to paint with a bathroom paint that says it resists mold and mildew.

My question is, does this stuff work or would using a primer(as I have done in other rooms in my house) do the trick? Also am I on the right track here? We plan on seeling the house in the near future and just want to pretty it up. All solutions, comments appreciated. Thanks

Old 07-16-08, 12:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Whenever you wash off mold and mildew, a fresh coat of paint helps to prevent a reoccurance although the lack of an exhaust fan is likely the biggest culprit.

The only reason for a primer would be to either prime repairs or promote adhesion. It won't correct a moisture issue.

Be sure to rinse the tsp/bleach well!

K&B paints have a extra mildewcide and are formulated for the harsher conditions of the bath enviroment.

Old 07-16-08, 03:18 PM
G
Marksr

Thanks. So you think one coat of the mildew paint is enough and no need for primer? I looket a gallon of Behr in home depot and it goes for about $29. Do you know what K&B goes for?

Old 07-16-08, 03:54 PM
S
K&B = kitchen and bath.Zinsser makes a very good version of this type of paint and would likely be superior to a Behr version.As for primer,it's only function would be to block bleed through from the staining of the previous mildew(other than adhesion issues).If you feel you need this an oil based stain blocking primer would be the way to go.Again Zinsser makes a well regarded version but almost any paint line would have one that would be acceptable.

Old 07-16-08, 06:42 PM
B
If you use Perma-Wash from Zinnsser and then two (2) coats of Perma-White from Zinnsser, you will have a 5 year garentee from mold growing on the surface of the film. If you Perma-Wash it, prime with cover stain, then do your 2 coats of Perma-White, you should not have to worry about the mold coming through.

Old 07-17-08, 08:17 AM
S
Is this a bathroom with a shower and/or tub? If so, is there any way to install a exhaust fan, even if it involves some drywall work? I ask because this sounds like a losing battle. Even with the Perma-White, the mold protection isn't going to last forever if you can't get the steam out of the room.

SirWired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: