Hybrid stain over regular stain, problems

Old 07-18-08, 10:37 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hybrid stain over regular stain, problems

Hello, we just moved into a new home. Originally the 2 large 12by 12 wooden columns out front were stained a stain which was too light. We asked them to darken it to match the darker stain of the front door. Instead they applied a hybrid stain over it which to me and my wife just looks like brown paint and the columns are now ruined and look like plastic posts from the road.

Question is can all of this be stripped off and then restained. Or is there some method I can try such as 0000 steel wool, sandpaper or something similar in order to try and bring the grain back to look more stained in order to avoid stripping.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
Sammy

Old 07-18-08, 03:18 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I'm not sure what hybrid stain is. However, I do know you could strip them and start over.

Old 07-18-08, 05:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
Oil and waterborne stains come in semi-transparent and solid. Latex stain only comes in solid. Is the "hybrid" a waterborne or do you mean they custom tinted a coating to alter the color?

A deck stripper will probably remove the stain enough so you can go over it with what you want. I assume you want a semi-transparent stain finish ??

Old 07-18-08, 06:28 PM
S
This came up on Google as a product description off a Canadian website:
3.6 L. Acrylic and oil-based exterior hybrid stain. Semi-transparent finish. Suitable for all types of wood. Combines the properties of an oil stain with the strength, flexibility and durability of a latex stain. Choice of colours.

Old 07-18-08, 08:01 PM
R
Thanks for all of the replies. The reason I believe it to be a hybrid was that the painter had written "hybrid front posts, front door" on a plain paint can. And this paint did match the front posts.

I believe this to be a water based hybrid stain. I had googled that as well to find out that apparently there are water based hybrid stains and in fact some people do complain that it looks like paint.

And yes this was obviously created in my case to match the trim around the front door and side windows. However my door is still stained but was stained darker. When I told them to stain the front posts darker to match the door I ended up with this hybrid stain paint on it. I was living in another state and showed up to see this already done.

I appreciate all of the help.
Thanks
Sammy

Old 07-19-08, 03:29 PM
R
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Oil and waterborne stains come in semi-transparent and solid. Latex stain only comes in solid. Is the "hybrid" a waterborne or do you mean they custom tinted a coating to alter the color?

A deck stripper will probably remove the stain enough so you can go over it with what you want. I assume you want a semi-transparent stain finish ??
This is water based. And it also looks like they custom tinted a coating to alter the color as well so I don't know what to think. I also forgot to add in my last post that yes, my wife was wanting a transparent type stain to show the wood grain. I personally thought what made a stain a stain was that it was transparent but I learned that wasn't the case. This hybrid stain just looks like paint to me.

Thanks for any help you can give
Sammy

Old 07-19-08, 06:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 383 Votes on 339 Posts
You will need to remove the majority of the current coating before you can get decent results with a semi-transparent stain. A deck stripper may accomplish that - hard to say without knowing just what the current coating consists of. Sanding will remove the coatings but might be labor intensive.

A paint and varnish remover would be effective but would be my last choice - most are fairly caustic and never a lot of fun to use. After the stripping process you would need to neutralize the stripper and then do some light sanding.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: