exterier latex vs interier latex

Old 07-24-08, 11:23 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question exterier latex vs interier latex

I was told by a specialty paint store that there is no difference between good interier latex and good exterier latex, that is, you can put interier latex on the exterier of the house with no ill effects. I don't believe it, your comments please.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-08, 11:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 318 Votes on 282 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

While there might be a hint of truth to that statement regarding some cheap coatings for the most part I don't buy it. In mild climates a lesser quality coating will hold up better than it will in a harsh enviroment.

Quality interior paints are formulated for interior wear and are restricted as far as the off gassing of the different ingredients. Exterior paints are formulated to withstand weather and don't necessarily dry to as hard a film.

Old 07-24-08, 12:29 PM
B
That statement from the paint store is untrue. Although I have had customers put exterior paints in the interior because they have extra. DO NOT put a product made for interior use outside, it WILL fail.

Old 07-24-08, 12:34 PM
S
Paint formulations vary from product to product but generally speaking:

Interior paints are not formulated with UV protection in mind so they will degrade quicker in an exterior situation.Some types also do not have the same level of mildewcide ingredients.

Exterior paints are not firmulated to be cleaned or scrubed regularly like might occur in an interior environment.They are also not formulated to release lower amounts of fumes and gases.

The person you spoke with was,in general terms,not correct however it may be that they were speaking about specific products they sell which might be formulated as stated by them.I would certainly ask for clarity before using this person for paint advice etc.