Painting issue? weird residue coming through walls 1 year after painting.

Old 07-26-08, 06:46 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting issue? weird residue coming through walls 1 year after painting.

We bought a house a year ago in May - about 30 years old, plaster walls and oil based paints. We used a primer that was good to cover the oil and allow us to use latex. All of the rooms look great 1 year later, except one. There is a brownish residue "dripping" down the wall. It seems to be on all 4 walls, and very faint - almost as if something is coming uo through the paint. It seems to start higher up the wall on all 4 walls and then flow down. Hardly noticable unless you look. Under pictures where the sun doesnt get it there are drips you can actually wipe off.

I assume its some sort of oil coming through, but it seems odd this is happening in only one room out of 7 or 8 that we painted.

Any ideas?

Edit to add - the women who lived here was a chain smoker. Not sure if this is the issue but again seems odd that only one room is doing this. This is the primer we used:
http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?ProductID=11

Old 07-26-08, 05:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
When I started reading your post, my first thought was nicotine
An oil base primer would have done a better job of sealing the nicotine. A pigmented shellac primer like zinnser's BIN does the best job of sealing stains.

That room either had more nicotine on the walls or possibly the primer wasn't applied as well. Anyway a coat of a solvent based primer will seal the walls and you shouldn't have any more problems with it.

Old 07-27-08, 02:08 AM
J
Since there's actual liquid on the walls you should look for a water leak.

Old 07-27-08, 06:20 AM
J
Originally Posted by Jan2 View Post
Since there's actual liquid on the walls you should look for a water leak.
It is all 4 walls though - and no plumbing up there. And not in any adjoining rooms.

I at first thought it was a leak too, till I found it on the other 3 walls.

Old 07-27-08, 06:30 AM
J
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
When I started reading your post, my first thought was nicotine
An oil base primer would have done a better job of sealing the nicotine. A pigmented shellac primer like zinnser's BIN does the best job of sealing stains.

That room either had more nicotine on the walls or possibly the primer wasn't applied as well. Anyway a coat of a solvent based primer will seal the walls and you shouldn't have any more problems with it.
Is it harmful at all? My wife painted it up to look like a barnyard for my daughter and it took her a long time to get all the animals on there. If we can avoid it I think we would rather leave it until she is ready to move past that stage. Ive just been wiping it down at this point.

Old 07-27-08, 10:39 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Humidity may have drawn it out.

As far as I know, it presents no danger - especially if she's old enough not to lick the walls

Old 07-27-08, 11:45 AM
J
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Humidity may have drawn it out.

As far as I know, it presents no danger - especially if she's old enough not to lick the walls
That is interesting. We do have a humidifier running in there occasionally so that would explain that room over others.

She's only 13 months old, so Ill have to make sure she isnt licking the wall.

Old 07-28-08, 12:43 AM
J
Plumbing's not the only way to introduce moisture into the walls. I've seen kitchen fans and bathroom fans that exhausted into attic spaces and even walls. Leaky stacks from gas fired water heaters and furnaces can introduce lots of water vapor into the building.

If it were my property I'd make sure that nothing is putting moisture behind those walls.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: