Painting Over A Brown Water Leak Stain ?

Old 07-27-08, 10:59 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting Over A Brown Water Leak Stain ?

Hello,

Have an old brownish water stain on ceiling from a pipe leak (repaired), that I am finally to get around to re-painting.

A few years old, so all totally dried out by now.

Can I just use a good quality latex paint over it, or must I use KILZ or some similar product first ?

Certainly don't want the brown to ever show through.

Thanks,
B.

Old 07-27-08, 11:04 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If you use kilz - make sure it is the oil base formula!
Latex primers won't seal water stains - atleast not long term. Use an oil base or pigmented shellac primer.

Old 07-27-08, 11:58 AM
S
Do yourself a favor and buy a better product than Kilz like Zinsser's BIN.Go to a store that offers knowledgeable saleshelp and knows their products.Don't just buy something because you've heard of it.

Old 07-27-08, 04:39 PM
C
For a small stain such as this likely is, the spray can of Kilz should do an excellent job of sealing the stain.

Old 07-27-08, 09:44 PM
G
Kilz makes a spray paint that is oil-based and sprays up, called the upshot.

Old 07-28-08, 08:27 AM
S
Spavid,

I'm not sure BIN (and all the attendant application and cleanup issues) is necessary for a simple water stain. Really, here the oil-base Kilz (or any other oil-base stain-blocking primer) should do the trick just fine.

But yeah, no water-base primer is going to work.

The most important thing (besides applying a non-water-base primer of some sort) is to make sure that the actual water leak that caused the problem is completely fixed, or the stain will come back, water base primer or not.

SirWired

Old 07-28-08, 11:10 AM
S
I agree that BIN might not be necessary and that Kilz might be adequate.My point was that BIN is a far superior product to Kilz.BIN is priced where I am at the same retail as oil Kilz when Kilz is not on promotion so why not get a better product?That said if Kilz is on sale etc then go for it.

Old 07-28-08, 02:05 PM
S
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
I agree that BIN might not be necessary and that Kilz might be adequate.My point was that BIN is a far superior product to Kilz.BIN is priced where I am at the same retail as oil Kilz when Kilz is not on promotion so why not get a better product?That said if Kilz is on sale etc then go for it.
Comparisons between BIN and Kilz cannot be made simply by price; the two products aren't the same kind of primer. Kilz is closer to Zinsser CoverStain than BIN. Kilz Original (and CoverStain) are oil-base primers. BIN is a Shellac-based primer.

I would never use BIN where an oil-base primer was likely to work due to BINs safety profile (a LOT of ventilation or a cartridge respirator is REQUIRED) and cleanup issues (you have to clean your brushes with dilluted ammonia... nobody's idea of a good time)

Using BIN for a water stain is like using a straight razor to trim your nails. Yeah, it'll work, but there are better ways.

SirWired

Old 07-28-08, 04:30 PM
S
You're right I got the product names mixed up.Brain freeze...meant oil primer all along.

Old 07-28-08, 05:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I would add - there are times a water stain is so bad that only a pigmented shellac will seal it. But the majority of the time - an oil base primer will work fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: