What type of paint for kitchen cupboard doors?

Old 08-04-08, 03:28 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What type of paint for kitchen cupboard doors?

I'm building kitchen cupboard doors out of a very hard MDF like material (Can't remember the name for it right at the moment) and want to know what kind of paint to use to get a very hard semi gloss / gloss surface.

I was planning on priming with KILZ oil base primer but am kind of stuck after that.

Thanks!

Old 08-04-08, 04:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Use either an oil base or waterborne enamel - they will dry to a harder film than latex enamel.

Old 08-04-08, 11:00 PM
J
oil base paint yellows too much over time. the best paint you can get is aura paint made by ben moore. after just one hour of drying you can scrape it with your fingernail and it wont peel off.

Old 08-08-08, 06:46 PM
T
Thanks for the info! One more question though... I want as smooth a finish as possible.... Should I buy a spray gun or is there a better way to do that?

Old 08-09-08, 04:12 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Spraying gives the best looking finish but isn't necessarily the best choice. Spraying requires a little bit of experience [lack of may result in runs or flats spots] and a lot of prep. Overspray has a tendancy to go everywhere so everything not to be painted must be masked off - including openings to other rooms. I do a lot of spraying but rarely ever spray anything in an occupied dwelling.

Here's some good info on painting cabinets;
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=292098

Old 08-28-08, 09:38 AM
M
Sherwin Williams Duration

I am an amature but will say this. I had two other guys helping me paint a basement with SWP Duration and all were amazed at the coverage, one coat covered eveything. It also was very easy to cut into corners with a brush, the paint seemed to have a very nice feel to it when brushing. I am contemplating using the Duration on my walls at home. However, I forgot to check compatibility with Kilz Original Primer. Anyone know if it will work with Duration?

Old 08-28-08, 01:11 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Welcome to the forums mjtuttle!
Duration will work over most primers, including kilz.

Old 08-28-08, 01:21 PM
S
Duration is not a paint I would use on a cabinet. It just isn't made for that kind of use. (It is an excellent wall paint though.) If you are buying your paint from Sherwin Williams, the product you want is ProClassic Waterbourne Enamel.

SirWired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: