type of entry door

Old 08-17-08, 07:33 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
type of entry door

I want to paint my entry door but am not sure what type it is: steel, fiberglass or wood? It's never been painted, so I need to know what kind of paint to use also for the specific types of doors. How do find out what type of door I have?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-08, 04:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

If it's never been painted it is probably steel or fiberglass. Both are hollow with styrofoam inside for insulation. A steel door will be slick/smooth metal with a very light grey primer [from factory] The styles [edges] of the door can be either wood or metal. Wood styles will have 2 grooves - where the metal meets the wood. Metal styles will have a single groove seperating the 2 sides of the door. I rarely paint any fiberglass doors but I think they usually have a wood grain texture.

A wood door will be solid wood. The panel doors will have joints where all the different pieces are put together. A slick [no panels] door is usually 2 thin pieces of wood/masonite with a particle board core. It is important to seal [paint] the top and bottom edge of wooden doors!

Unless you have raw wood or steel, you shouldn't need to prime. A quality latex exterior enamel would be the most diy friendly. Some metal doors specify latex only - oil base will void the warranty. As always, you will find the best coatings [advice too] at your local paint store - not big box paint dept.

Can you tell us a little more about what you want the door to look like finished? What weather conditions it will be subjected too? Open or covered by porch?

Old 08-22-08, 10:57 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
type of entry door

thnx for your help! It is an entry door covered by a patio; warm climate (So. Cal); it also has 2 lg. design windows. It was the original with the house (now 7 yrs. old); would like to paint them a Burgandy color to match the exterior shutters.

Old 08-22-08, 01:42 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 156 Votes on 138 Posts
Your best bet would be to go to your local paint store [not dept] and get a quart of quality paint to match your shutters.