Staining help

Old 08-25-08, 06:51 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining help

Bought an unfinished pine table top, already sanded, but took course sandpaper to it for a darker stain (using red mahogany minwax). Put down a thick coat of stain, let it sit for 10 mins or so, wiped off what I could with a towel. A few hours later, put another coat, 10 mins later, wiped off what I could with a towel again. This morning, I get up and it's still wet, seems as though it's not any dryer than when I left it! Will it ever dry?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-08, 03:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
Stains are formulated to mostly be obsorbed and not to dry on top of a substrate - that's why it's always best to only apply 1 coat of stain. It should dry but it will take a while. The biggest concern is that when you go to apply the first coat of poly, the poly will rewet and move the last coat of stain. About the only way to prevent rewetting the stain and making a mess would be to spray the first coat of poly. If you don't have the means to spray, even a thin coat of poly from a spray can or two will work. When the sprayed poly is dry, you can sand and brush on more poly with no problem.

Old 08-25-08, 05:23 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Mark. I read on here today that only one coat of stain should be applied. The minwax can said another coat can be reapplied to darken so I figured that was normal yesterday, but when I got home from work today it was totally dry. I think the problem was the humidity at nighttime here kept it pretty wet then dried out this afternoon. We did a pretty good job of wiping the excess off. I already applied coat 1 of poly, it did wipe some of the stain away in only a few small spots (applied with foam roller) but nothing too noticeable.