Which paint brand is better for painting furniture

Old 08-30-08, 07:07 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Which paint brand is better for painting furniture

I am repainting some white furniture, black, and I want to know whether the Behr brand of semi gloss enamel is good or whether Benjamin Moore's Satin Impervo is better.

Old 08-31-08, 04:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Ben Moore is better than Behr. An oil base enamel will wear better than latex.
What prep have you done?

Old 09-02-08, 08:04 PM
O
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Welcome to the forums!

Ben Moore is better than Behr. An oil base enamel will wear better than latex.
What prep have you done?
Hi,
I haven't done any prep yet. I assume that I have to sand the old latex paint before painting. I also assume that I should use an oil based primer too. True?

Old 09-03-08, 03:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You may not need to use a primer, it all depends on what it looks like after you get done sanding.

Old 09-04-08, 02:21 PM
O
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
You may not need to use a primer, it all depends on what it looks like after you get done sanding.
I am using a hand sander rather than an electric sander, so I'm not sure how good it will be. So are you saying that if I use primer, I don't have to sand? And that if I do a good job sanding, I don't have to prime?

Old 09-04-08, 04:12 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
No, generally if you don't sand it back down to raw wood - you won't need a primer. After the primer dries, you should sand it lightly, wipe off any sanding dust and paint. If you apply mutlitple coats of paint, it is best to sand between coats.

When you are done sanding if there is any raw wood, prime it. If it is all still covered with paint, you can skip the primer and go directly to paint.

Old 09-08-08, 09:12 PM
H
Another great product to consider is All-Surface Enamel by Sherwin Williams. The best advice I have when painting furniture regardless of the product you are using is to use a HIGH QUALITY BRUSH! For oil/alkyd enamels I always recommend Purdy brand Ox-O-Thin brushes. They're somewhat pricey, but the finish is amazing. #2, with oil always let dry 24 hours between coats no matter what. It may feel dry to the touch, but be patient and wait!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: