Varathane brush marks

Old 08-31-08, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Varathane brush marks

Using varathane from Lowes and can not stop getting brush marks in the dry finish. Any Ideas on how to stop this or can I go over this with a oil base urathane?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-08, 04:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I ended up spraying it. I tried good brushes, I even tried pouring on. DON'T try that. lol It was quit a mess.

Travis

Old 09-01-08, 03:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Had a scrap with the Varathane on it, put polyurathane over it and came out good, no brush marks. Know what I will use from now on.

Old 09-01-08, 05:47 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 294 Votes on 261 Posts
It's probably been 30 yrs since I used any varathane [it was oil base] am I to understand that this varathane is water based?

With oil base poly/varnish use of a good natural bristle brush and maybe a tad of thinner will help minimize brush marks. With water base it's a little trickier, sometimes thinning with floetrol or XIM's extends will help to minimize brush marks. Basically it slows down the drying time to help the waterbased coating to "flow" together.

Oil base varnish/poly will yellow/amber as it ages. it will also deepen the color in unsealed wood. Water based varnish/poly dries clear and won't yellow although it's finish isn't as tough as it's oil base counterpart.