Is it necessary to paint over primer?

Old 09-03-08, 07:39 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Is it necessary to paint over primer?

I've primed the interior of my garage. I think it looks great, and more importantly, my wife agrees. The clerk at the local paint store claims we absolutely need to paint over the primer. Is this absolutely necessary or is the clerk just trying to make a sale? Thanks in advance.

Old 09-03-08, 11:12 AM
S
Primer does not have the wear, stain, or scrub resistance that actual paint does. If anything touches your wall, it WILL leave a scuff that will be difficult or impossible to remove without also removing the primer itself.

SirWired

Old 09-03-08, 11:54 AM
S
Since it's a garage you don't have to use higher priced paint unless your garage is finished or would be subjected to regular wall cleaning.

You do need to cover the primer but there's a good chance contractor grade or utility grade paint will do the job.

Old 09-03-08, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
As noted, primer doesn't wear well and actually seems to attract dirt . . It can also deteriate over time and complicate any top coat applied later. This is mainly an exterior concern but if the door is left open a lot, extreme temp changes.............

I agree you can get by with a cheaper grade of paint but it may need repainting sooner depending on how the garage is used. this is especially true of flat finishes. I'd consider an eggshell or semi-gloss enamel.

Old 09-03-08, 03:08 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
I don't like to prime or paint garage walls because scuffs are so much more obvious to the eye that way. That said, if you've primed, you should paint.

Old 09-17-08, 10:35 AM
F
Thank you

To mitch17, marksr, spdavid, and sirwired,
Thank you all for your comments. It seems a consensus of opinions to paint over the primer. I did over the weekend and the boss, err I mean the misses, declared she loves it. Thank you again for your input and comments.
Live long and prosper, fixbord.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: