staircase handrail not turning out well

Old 09-03-08, 08:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy staircase handrail not turning out well

Hi, I painted my staircase handrail today with a commercial grade Waterborne enamel (black) paint over top of a latex primer (primer can said "holds gloss!"). I painted the 1st coat of enamel a couple of hours after painting the primer (primer felt dry to touch..). I noticed immediately that in some areas the enamel seemed to just slide right off of the primer and in other areas seems clumpy. Did I screw up and not wait long enough for the primer to dry? The primer can said it would be ready for re-coat in 2 hours so I assumed it would be safe to start painting at that point, but now I wonder if I should've waited longer. After the paint dried it looks a little better, but there are a lot of clumpy areas and brush marks where I had to keep going back over some areas where the paint was sliding. Should I put on a 2nd coat of paint tomorrow and hope for the best? Or should I sand before I re-paint with another coat of enamel? Also, what polyurethane should I use on top of the enamel? Should I sand it down and start over?
Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-08, 04:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 256 Votes on 226 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

What brand of paint did you use?
Enamel shouldn't need a poly top coat. Waterborne enamels don't behave well if over brushed so that might be part of the problem. It is always a good idea to sand between coats, especially if there are brush marks or any other defects showing! No need to sand it all off, just enough to level it all out.