Bubbles and fisheyes in interior paint

Old 09-08-08, 11:36 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Bubbles and fisheyes in interior paint

Trying to recover bathroom walls badly botched by a professional painter. He stripped the wallpaper and skim-coated the damaged wallboard, then applied one coat of latex primer and two coats of acrylic latex paint, not allowing much drying time between the paint coats. Long story from there, but now am at the point where I've removed his peeling paint and repaired the walls. I first applied a coat of latex primer and a coat of latex satin, but got some bubbles in the finish coat. Removed the damaged paint areas, repaired with joint compound, then applied two coats of white shellac primer. In one of the areas where there was paint bubbling before, I notice fisheyes in the shellac primer. Obviously some sort of contaminant.

So, now the problem is, what to do next. A latex finish coat will almost certainly again bubble in those fisheye areas. Should I try a primer coat using an oil base primer? Any other ideas other than removing all the wallboard and starting from scratch!?

Old 09-08-08, 02:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure why you got fish eyes in the primer but I'd sand that area and reprime.There shouldn't be a need to buy a different primer.

Old 09-08-08, 09:29 PM
H
prep, prep, prep. sand and scrape back damaged areas. then clean with TSP, or a TSP substitute. short-term peeling is almost always due to some form of contamination on the substrate. using a shellac or oil based primer and not allowing it to fully cure before topcoating with latex paint is probably also partly to blame. after tsp, prime with a high quality primer. i like shellac primers as well for trouble spots, but i might recommend two coats of primer before paint.

Old 09-09-08, 01:01 PM
A
The painter used a latex based primer, not shellac or oil based. I switched to the shellac based primer after repairing and cleaning what could be cleaned. We allowed 24 hours drying time between the latex primer and first latex coat, and before the second latex coat. I will be using two coats of the white shellac before trying the latex finish coat again, and will be going over the surface very closely to spot any minute holes in the primer. The reason for asking the question in the first place was to see if anyone thought that the oil based primer might have an advantage in this situation, but apparently not. Thanks for the opinions.

Old 09-09-08, 01:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
The only advantage with an oil base primer is - it isn't as stinky.... but it's ok to switch to oil base if you want to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: