painting plywood floor

Old 09-16-08, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painting plywood floor

Hello,

I saw a picture in a magazine that showed what appeared to be a wood plank floor painted white. I would like to do the same thing in my kitchen, but since I don't have plank flooring, I was wondering if anyone has ever used painted plywood as a floor surface. Would 1/4" plywood work, or would I need to use a more substantial (1/2" or 3/4") thickness of plywood? Would the floor need to be finished with some kind of polyurethane or would using a high-grade exterior gloss be durable by itself? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-08, 05:06 PM
My first thought is why use plywood and not some sort of sheet flooring?

Beyond that I'd think you'd need plywood that was of a thickness and quality level that was high enough to eliminate splintering,chipping etc.You'd have to prime it really well since plywood is going to absorb a lot of paint and that oil based floor enamel would work.

That said I also think it's going to eventually wear and need redoing and will harder to keep clean and especially to hide marks on.

Old 09-17-08, 03:09 PM
While a porch and floor enamel would probably be able to keep the plywood painted, I can't imagine it would look like anything other than big sheets of plywood. In addition, I could see issues making sure the seams between sheets were absolutely sealed to prevent water intrusion between the layers.

SirWired

Old 09-18-08, 09:18 AM
spdavid - thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by sheet flooring, but I'm definitely open to other options. What I want is a quick, hopefully inexpensive fix to an ugly kitchen floor from which I've removed very old (1950's), very ugly linoleum squares. The painted floor is the look I'd like to capture. I'd planned to use throw rugs on top of the more heavily traveled areas, and hopefully by the time the paint is showing serious signs of wear I'll be ready for a change and can then afford something nicer and use the plywood as my subfloor. I look forward to your thoughts.

Old 09-18-08, 09:21 AM
sirwired - thanks for your reply. I was concerned about the plywood just looking like plywood. Any suggestions as to how to make it look like something it isn't, or something else I could use instead? Any suggestions how best to seal the cracks?

Old 09-18-08, 09:49 AM
The biggest problem, in my mind, is the grain of the plywood; actual trees don't come with a 4'x8' grain pattern. In addition, the seams will be impossible to completely hide.

Maybe you can find vinyl roll flooring (maybe that is what was meant by "sheet flooring") in the pattern you want? Roll flooring has the massive advantage that it does not require a completely level substrate underneath.

SirWired

Old 09-18-08, 07:10 PM
You'd have to use a lot of nails/screws to keep the floor smooth and level. You may need to do that anyway for sheet flooring. A quick easy fix is self-stick tiles.