Painting gas meter

Old 09-24-08, 03:47 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Painting gas meter

Hi guys, I've got another question.

This one is regarding my gas meter which has been painted before, and now is rusting through the old paint.

What I would like to do is strip off the old paint to get to the rust so I can treat it to hopefully stop it. I called my local utility(PG&E) and asked the question of one of their customer service reps. She said, "sure, you can paint it just don't paint over the window". I tried to emphasize that I wanted to apply stripper to it and she said that it didn't matter.

I really didn't get a warm feeling that she actually knew what she was talking about so I'd like some input from some of you that have had this issue before.

Would there be any harm in applying stripper to the meter and pipes? Anybody done this before?

Thanks...Randy

Old 09-24-08, 04:16 PM
S
I would keep any chemical products you end up using off any surface that isn't metal.Stripping in this case isn't going to do a thing but remove paint.You'll still have to sand and most importantly use a oil based primer specifically for rusted metal.Don't do any stripping in direct sunlight or overly hot conditions because often the solvents and chemicals will evaporate before the product has a chance to work.Top coat with a quality oil enamel.

Old 09-24-08, 04:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Randy, remember, it would be like the gas company coming to your house and painting your truck. Although it has been painted before, you may contact the gas company and request a new one since it is showing signs of age and rusting.

Old 09-24-08, 05:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'd just sand or wire brush it, prime with a rust inhibitive primer and paint it with an exterior oil base enamel. If it needs much more than that, I'd take Chandler's advice and ask to have it replaced.

Some locales require gas meters to be painted a certain color which is usually a bluish grey.

Old 09-24-08, 10:43 PM
R
Thanks guys. I am very familiar with chemical strippers so I know what to do, and what not to do. I know that it it will only remove the paint, but that's all I want it to do. The rust I will deal with after I have the paint removed. Having the gas company replace the meter would be the best action, if they would do it. Maybe I will call back and request it and see where it goes from there.

Oh, and Chandler, if my truck looked as bad as this meter then I would welcome the gas company to come to my house and paint it. lol Maybe they would entertain a trade.

Randy

Old 09-24-08, 10:51 PM
T
Sounds like you did you research and knew what you were going to do before you posted. You called and there was no problem with painting. Did you expect someone on the phone to know anything about surface prep before painting? Thus, proceed with surface prep as recommended for metal and current surface conditions to attain proper surface prep before painting.
Also check with local company before addressing color of meters. Some are color coded, Call gas company first to assure legallity and safety.

Old 07-19-10, 04:53 AM
D
This thread has been dead for a while, but I used it to confirm my approach before painting my meter, so I figured others may come across it as well and might benefit from knowing what worked well for me:

I started with this:

1.) Removed the rust with a wire brush. Wiped away any residue with soap and water.
2.) 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Clean Metal Primer. Which gave me this:

3.) 2 coats of Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel (7786830-Smoke Gray for me). The finished product:

BTW - my first DIY project @ my first home

Last edited by dsarver; 07-19-10 at 06:54 AM. Reason: Added pictures
Old 07-19-10, 10:45 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Welcome to the Forums. Looks very good. If you finish your HoneyDo list my van sure needs painting.

Old 07-19-10, 11:01 AM
D
Thanks Ray! It was a successful first project... can't wait to see how many won't go nearly as well in the future.

Originally Posted by ray2047 View Post
...my van sure needs painting.
IMHO, the only way a van should ever be painted:

Old 07-19-10, 11:10 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Ummmm A-Team? Maybe?

xxxxxxxxx just for 25 characters

Old 07-19-10, 11:16 AM
D
A-Team indeed. The picture isn't displaying properly for you?

Old 07-19-10, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
No..It's displaying fine...but that was SOOOOOOO long ago and I haven't payed any attention to the new one...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: