Exterior textured siding--which roller?

Old 10-08-08, 01:09 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exterior textured siding--which roller?

I am getting close to finishing the paint job on my house. The surface is HardiPlank lap siding, and HardiPanel vertical siding, wood grain textured. For the second coat on the vertical siding, I tried rolling one surface, and was not terribly happy with the result. It has a bit of a stippled appearance. I tried using more paint, less paint, changing my angle of approach, and nothing seemed to change.

I used a Roll 'o' crap roller, with a fairly short nap. I'm guessing that might be my problem.

Can somebody please recommend what nap I should use to get smooth, even coverage?

Also, what is the best technique for rolling paint? Probably a stupid question, but since I'm here, I might as well ask!

Thanks for any advice.

Old 10-09-08, 03:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I'd use a 3/4" - 1" nap roller cover. There is no way to eliminate roller stipple unless you back brush what you've rolled. Lightly backrolling the rolled on paint will give less promiment stipple.

Old 10-10-08, 07:33 PM
B
Thanks for the response, Mark. I guess I had never noticed it on rolled paint before. In any case, I'll get rid of my crap-o-roller and go with a high-quality thicker nap.

Old 10-11-08, 02:37 PM
S
FYI, I have not heard a complaint here yet about the Purdy White Dove roller covers. They are widely available, high-quality, and not terribly expensive.

SirWired

Old 10-12-08, 09:41 AM
S
If your using a roller pan. Switch over to a 5 gallon bucket w/ a paint grid. That should dispurse the paint more evenly over your nap.

Old 10-12-08, 12:08 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
" Switch over to a 5 gallon bucket w/ a paint grid"

Good point!!! sometimes I forget that some folks still use a roller pan
The only time I'd consider using a roller pan is if the job requires less than 1 gallon [usually 1/2 gal or less]

Old 10-12-08, 02:56 PM
S
Also, it's alot easier to roll w/ an extension pole attached to your roler handle. It will help give you better leverage which helps with getting an even coat.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: