painting cement walls - not in basement

Old 10-10-08, 05:54 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
painting cement walls - not in basement

I am going to paint the cement wall in my daughter's apartment in China. They are on the second floor, not in the basement so moisture should not be a problem. the walls have been painted previously.

The paint store in China said she had to use primer. Is primer necessary? Must it be oil-based paint?

Does paint in China have any different qualities I need to be aware of?

Last edited by DenAlan; 10-10-08 at 05:55 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 10-11-08, 04:55 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 832 Upvotes on 729 Posts
I have no idea about any differences there would be in either the coatings available or any special needs regarding painting in China.

Any substrate that is painted for the 1st time should have a primer applied. Any porous masonary should have a block fill primer or a coating like drylok applied for a primer. Non porous masonary should have a masonary primer. SWP has a whole line [loxon] of masonary paints/primers.

Years ago [before all the various primers available now] we used to apply 2 coats of finish paint to masonary. The 1st coat would be thinned about 20% and acted as the primer.

Latex paint/primer will work fine. There used to be a good oil base masonary primer but I've not used in over 35 yrs -don't even know if it's still available.

I just reread your post and realized the wall is already painted
No need for a primer unless there are underlying problems that need to be addressed -like stains or any problems that would affect adhesion.

Old 10-11-08, 07:37 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the existing paint is glossy, a scuff-sanding with sandpaper is pretty standard, but frankly, I would not trust the paint existing paint to not be loaded with lead (it is an extremely useful paint pigment and additive and therefore quite tempting to add), but sanding lead paint is a bad idea.

Test the paint to see if it is oil-base or water-base. If oil-base, I would prime with an oil-base primer, and then topcoat with water-base paint. If the existing coat is water-base, no need to prime, but crossing your fingers would probably help.

SirWired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: