Can I Use SW ProClassic on Exterior Column

Old 10-26-08, 08:47 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Can I Use SW ProClassic on Exterior Column

Hello,
I have quite a bit of Sherwin Williams Proclassic interior trim paint left over.from an inside project. By the way, I think this is one if not the best trim paint I have ever used. Would it be o.k. to use it on exterior columns?
I have two large pvc columns on my porch -east facing.

Is it best for me to brush or roll this on? Husband does not want to use the sprayer.

Thanks for any help from the experts.
Marcia

Old 10-26-08, 09:12 AM
S
You do not want to use an interior paint on an exterior surface.Interior paint does not have the weather/UV resistance and mildew resistance of exterior paint.I'm sure some of the painters here will elaborate but I wouldn't use an interior paint outside.I think you'll have to redo this within a short period of time as it will not perform very well.

Old 10-26-08, 10:02 AM
M
Originally Posted by spdavid View Post
You do not want to use an interior paint on an exterior surface.Interior paint does not have the weather/UV resistance and mildew resistance of exterior paint.I'm sure some of the painters here will elaborate but I wouldn't use an interior paint outside.I think you'll have to redo this within a short period of time as it will not perform very well.
Thanks spdavid,
Do you know once I figure out which SW paint to use how I should apply it? Mini roller vs. brush.
Thanks again

Marcia

Old 10-26-08, 10:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
If I remember correctly SWP states on their oil base enamels they can be used on minor trim outside but I wouldn't advise doing so. It won't last as long as a quality exterior paint - it mildew and peel quicker

What type of paint is currently on the columns? Latex or oil? that will dictate what type of paint you should use.

You should be able to use a brush or mini roller - whichever you prefer. If the columns are fluted, you may be limmited to a brush.

Old 10-27-08, 08:19 AM
M
Hi Marksr,!!!

I will certainly heed your advice. I recall being on these boards approx. 2-3 yrs. ago when we first started builiding our new home. I believe it was you that recommended the SW paint as being one of the best interior. Indeed, it is!

I now only use SW cashmere on all my walls- no matter the color it is always exceptionally beautiful. I have tried several other brands (low voc ) and always come back to SW. Only problem is I just re-painted my master over the weekend and the fumes have really gotten to us this time. Even the dogs would not come in the room. I had been using other brands with low or no VOC's and never had a problem with eyes burning,etc. but the final look is not nearly as nice.

I understand SW now has a low voc - any knowledge on coverage of their low/no voc brand?

As far as the columns - they have never been painted (house is still under construction) and they are made from white pvc.
The base caps appear to be some type of plastic or pvc as well.

Thanks as always for your help~

Marcia

Old 10-27-08, 09:50 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Use A-100 latex primer with about 15-20% emulsa bond added for the first coat on the pvc [a light scuff sand prior to priming wouldn't hurt] then finish with super paint or duration. IMO satin or gloss would look better than flat.

It's been awhile since I've used SWP's low voc paint but I don't remember coverage ever being an issue.

Old 10-27-08, 12:56 PM
S
While SW has their "Harmony" paint which is Low-VOC, the current top-of-the-line, Duration also happens to be a low-VOC paint. I'm not sure it will look the same as Cashmere, but it is a fine paint.

If you are willing to try Ben Moore, I think Aura is also a low-VOC paint, and is also quite good.

SirWired

Old 11-16-08, 02:58 PM
W
Originally Posted by marksr View Post
Use A-100 latex primer with about 15-20% emulsa bond added for the first coat on the pvc [a light scuff sand prior to priming wouldn't hurt] then finish with super paint or duration. IMO satin or gloss would look better than flat.

It's been awhile since I've used SWP's low voc paint but I don't remember coverage ever being an issue.

Great advice Markster that sure would of been a nightmare for her using an interior oil base.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: