outside painting temperature?

Old 11-16-08, 03:22 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
outside painting temperature?

Hello all,

I want to paint the outside of an exterior door and a metal handrail. The outside temperature is forecast to be in the high 40's, but that part of my house gets full sun for 5-6 hours each day.

Could I get away with painting metal outside when the temp isn't the 55 degrees noted on the paint can? Would results be better at those temps using an oil-based enamel (rather than latex)?

Thanks.

Old 11-17-08, 02:43 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Is there a storm door?

What type [oil or latex] of paint to use should partly be determined by what type of paint is currently on it. obviously if latex paint freezes before it cures - it won't last. Cool temps slow down oil base drying times, extra cold can completely stop the drying process until it warms back up.

I'd wait on the handrail.

Old 11-17-08, 08:17 AM
L
No storm door...

Thanks for the response. There's no storm door, just the exterior door, and I think it was previously painted with exterior latex. The handrail I think was done with oil-based enamel, but I'm not sure.

Old 11-17-08, 02:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
You need to wait for better weather. If you had a storm door you might could get by with leaving the door open all day and letting the house heat help to dry it but without doing that you need the air temps to be at least in the 50's during the day and not drop below freezing that night. The temperature of the substrate being painted is just as important as air temp.

Oil base on the metal rail is a little more forgiving but cold will slow down [or even stop] the drying process and if dew or frost lays on it before it dries - it will affect the sheen.

Old 12-02-08, 08:29 PM
W
You either need to wait for better weather, or you need to buy some exterior cold weather paint. I have used paint that is designed for 32 degrees. Of course i do not usually paint in those conditions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: