Need Advice - Painting Bookcase

Old 11-20-08, 01:54 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Advice - Painting Bookcase

I bought a tall bookshelf a few years ago at Walmart and I've been wanting to re-paint white.

The image shows the type of material the bookshelf is - the specs say oak, but I'm hoping this will give an idea of the finish of the bookcase.

Can I just use a good spray paint, or will I need to sand the entire thing down? Believe me - we're still trying to finish sanding and staining our kitchen cabinets, so I'm trying to avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks!

Old 11-20-08, 02:14 PM
S
Assuming that it is laminated particle board like that picture, scuff-sand with sandpaper, wipe the dust off, prime with an oil-base primer, and topcoat with two coats of Waterbourne enamel like Sherwin's ProClassic or Ben Moore's Impervo. Wait a week or two before putting books on the shelf.

SirWired

Old 11-20-08, 02:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

While I can't tell for sure, I doubt that is real oak wood. It may or may not sand well although a quick scuff sand is always a good idea.

It would be best to prime with a pigmented shellac like zinnser's BIN. It adheres well to problem surfaces and dries quick enough so it won't affect any thin laminates. You can then top coat with your choice of paint. Oil base and waterborne enamel will dry to a harder finish and wear better than a latex enamel will.

Old 11-20-08, 04:46 PM
S
It looks like particle board with Oak decal type laminate.

You can clean it with something like Krud Kutter and a scouring pad - wipe off. Allow to dry. Then either of the primers mentioned already will work (BIN or Coverstain).

Ditto again on the enamel - either waterborne or oil.

Use a mini roller with fine nap. This will actually be easier than using a spray enamel. You will have lots of dry spray issues to deal with if you use aerosol spray on this I think.

Old 11-21-08, 06:44 AM
C
Thumbs up Thank you!

Thanks so much for the replies! I'm trying to give my old furniture a little update instead of buying new stuff, but this cheap Walmart type furniture - there is a lot of that around and I had no clue how to properly repaint it.

Thanks again!! Beer 4U2

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: