Cutting in when using BM Aura paint

Old 11-22-08, 08:45 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cutting in when using BM Aura paint

I am considering using Aura paint for a basment finishing project. A clerk at my local paint supply store said that when using Aura, especially with dark colors, the preferred techniques is to cut in and let it dry completely before applying the rest of the paint to the wall. He said it has to do with Aura's fast dry time and that if not done this way, the application of the paint to the wall could pull off some the paint used to cut-in.

This goes against every thing I have learned about painting, so I was hoping to get confirmation of that from some other folks who may have used Aura.

Thanks in advance.
Guy

Old 11-22-08, 03:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Let me say first - I've not used the Aura line of paint.

I'd go with their recomendation, they should know their product as well as anyone. Plus they have the feed back from all the pros that they sell paint to. Anytime that you brush/roll paint [any type] over slightly dry paint, there is a risk that the new paint will rewet and possibly lift the slightly dry paint. So their instructions do sound correct.

Old 11-23-08, 05:11 AM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd be tempted to go along with their recommendations too. I've used quite a bit of the Aura paint, and it's pretty saturated with pigment to begin with. A darker colour would be more saturated. This makes it great in terms of coverage/hiding, but the downside would be slower dry time. If the paint is made for quick dry time (which it is) I guess there could be issues. I've never had that particular problem with it though.

If you want some tips on using Aura, all I have to offer is the following...Keep a few brushes handy for the cutting in if you have lots to do. Due to the faster dry time, your brushes tend to get a bit gummy and hard to work with now matter how wet you try and keep them.

For rolling, use a poll, be fast and work the paint out quickly and evenly. NO BACKROLLING. If you screw up a small spot, leave it. The quick dry time doesn't allow for going back into your paint when it's already started to set up. You'll see what I mean if you try it. Looks like flashing in the paint when you go back into it.

The BM up here sold me some special "extender" for the Aura paint that thinned it out a bit and guaranteed not to affect the colour saturation. Seemed to work ok. I susptect it's the same thing as Floetrol.

Anyhoo, that's my 2 cents. Great paint. A bit pricey, but the benefit of not priming over filler/drywall is a huge advantage and time saver.

Hope it helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: