Washable Benjamin Moore paint: Matte vs Eggshell?

Old 11-29-08, 07:05 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Washable Benjamin Moore paint: Matte vs Eggshell?

I am planning to paint my basement, where my children will have a playroom (along with an office, gym and TV area for the adults). I want to make sure the paint I use is washable. A painter told me that Benjamin Moore Matte formula is more washable than Eggshell. However, a decorator at the local paint store told my wife that Eggshell is recommended because its washablity. I'm not sure if she meant that in for B.M. paints or in general.

Anyway, I like the look of matte better, so if B.M. Regal matte is as washable (or more washable) that Regal Eggshell, that's my preference.

Thanks,
Guy

Old 11-29-08, 07:35 PM
S
In general, the glossier the paint, the more scrubbable it is. However, Matte Aura may hold up better than eggshell in some lower grade BM paint. But if you stay within the same grade, the eggshell will be easier to clean than Matte.

SirWired

Old 11-30-08, 03:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I would add that when you go to the paint store, tell them what you want the paint to do and they can help you select the best coating for both your needs and budget.

Old 11-30-08, 08:03 AM
S
I don't know if Ben Moore has one or not but a few paint brands have specific lines of washable flat interior paints.These are not flat or matte general paints or part of a line but specifically formulated flat/matte paints that have,at least in one case,Scotchgard in them to greatly increase washability.Some research might help you find these.Ben Moore has great paint but there are other quality lines that might have something closer to your needs.

I agree that you should tell the saleshelp where you go exactly what you are looking for so they can help you make the best choice.I would also add the common sense fact that the more you pay for your paint the better quality it is and quality translates into among other things washability.All major brands have multiple levels of quality,often with similar sounding names,but only the upper level products will perform well under stress.

Old 12-08-08, 08:33 PM
S
The pigment of flat paint stands out above the paint film (in order to break up light) more so than an eggshell finish.

Regardless of washability, flat paints being rougher to the touch will get dirty easier than a smoother to the touch eggshell.

Old 12-08-08, 08:50 PM
T
While some latex paints are more scrubbable than others, latex paint, in general, does not hold up to serious scrubbing. In kitchens and bathrooms where scrubbing is often required, an oil-based paint may be preferred.

Old 12-09-08, 02:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Personally I wouldn't recomend using an oil ase enamel on kitchen or bath room walls [except maybe in a commercial setting] unless the current paint is oil base. Today's top of the line latex and waterborne enamels have sufficent scrubbability to make the use of oil enamel unnecessary.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: