Low VOC paint experiences???

Old 12-28-08, 08:23 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Arrow Low VOC paint experiences???

Hi,

We're moving into a big painting phase and are considering low VOC paints. I'm wondering how they are to use, how they hold up, and how they cover. Anyone have any experience?

At the moment we're leaning towards Olympic Premium paint. Does anyone have any experience with this paint and opinions on it's quality?

Thanks guys!

Old 12-28-08, 12:24 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
I've not noticed any coverage issues with the low/no VOC coatings I've used although I generally get my paint from SWP. For the most part, the coatings for sale at a big box paint dept are there more because of pricing than for quality.

Old 12-29-08, 11:33 AM
S
SWP? Is that Sherwin Williams? I was not looking for a big box brand, the Olympic happens to meet the VOC criteria and happens to be sold there. Do you think that paint is cheap or a poor coverer?

Thanks.

Old 12-29-08, 11:43 AM
S
I'm in the midst of painting with CIL (home depot brand) no-VOC paint, and I have no complaints. Very good coverage, with 1 gallon covering over 500 square feet in our experience. There are still some fumes, but they are not bad as regular paint. As far as I know this brand is only available with a white base, so if you want a medium or accent base you have to go with regular paints. We are using semi-gloss and it has a very nice finish.

Old 12-29-08, 05:33 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
SWP = sherwin williams paint

I've used some olympic exterior stains in the past but don't recall ever using any of their interior coatings. I have seen their coatings for sale at a big box, but I've also seen glidden coatings at a big box. While glidden has some quality coatings, the ones they offer at the big box are their cheapest, poorest paints.

The olympic low VOC may be a good coating - I can't say since I've not used any.

Old 12-30-08, 03:53 AM
S
Sherwin makes two high-grade low VOC products, Duration and Harmony. Of the two, Duration is the better paint. Benjamin Moore sells Aura, and it is also an excellent low-VOC paint.

The HD-sold Olympic is probably not a good coating, although it is not likely anybody here has used it.

SirWired

Old 12-31-08, 12:18 PM
L
Originally Posted by sarracenia View Post
I'm in the midst of painting with CIL (home depot brand) no-VOC paint, and I have no complaints. Very good coverage, with 1 gallon covering over 500 square feet in our experience. There are still some fumes, but they are not bad as regular paint. As far as I know this brand is only available with a white base, so if you want a medium or accent base you have to go with regular paints. We are using semi-gloss and it has a very nice finish.
I'm using the same paint and there is more than one base...I just had a couple of med tones mixed last night. Cool thing is the tint is no voc also.

Old 02-02-09, 12:30 PM
B
Thumbs down Avoid Sherwin Williams no VOC (Harmony)

I'm in the middle of painting a room with Sherwin Williams Harmony paint, that has no voc's. It's horrible! Very thin, spatters easily, drips like mad, even when I've rolled a thin coat. I've only once before has such an unsatisfying paint product. It barely adheres to the wall. I will never use this product again, although I have had good experiences with other SW paints....:

Old 02-02-09, 02:31 PM
S
I'm not even sure why Sherwin still sells Harmony. Duration is also a low-VOC product and it is pretty nifty stuff (albeit more expensive.)

SirWired

Old 02-03-09, 10:40 AM
S
Harmony is really not that bad. The hide is pretty good. You can control the spatter by using one of the soft woven covers.

It does have the "feeling" that you are applying "water" to the wall rather than a paint. I presume that the rheology modifiers used to thicken a paint and add brush drag, would also add to the VOC content of the paint and therefore are omitted.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: