How to paint trim next to shag carpet?

Old 01-02-09, 05:07 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to paint trim next to shag carpet?

Greetings,
I'm painting baseboard trim in a hallway next to shag carpet. The carpet does touch the trim, and I'm wondering if anyone has a technique for painting so as to avoid painting the carpet, yet get the paint all the way to the carpet so that it covers everything that's visible. Removing the carpet seems pretty impractical. My guess is that if I tape the carpet, some paint will seep by the tape.
Also, in the event of a slip or spill, does anyone have any method for removing latex paint from shag carpet. My fear and suspicion is that once it's in the carpet, it'll never come out.
Trying to avoid the shag!
D in Oakland

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-09, 05:45 PM
T
There is a tool for this. Check at paint store. It's a long metal blade that you slip into gap to paint the baseboard. You have to wipe the blade from time to time.

Old 01-02-09, 10:16 PM
S
You need to first tape the carpet back using two inch masking tape (easy release blue tape works well for this). This will keep the carpet from springing back into the wet paint as you move along using the already mentioned metal carpet shield.

Old 01-03-09, 07:36 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 294 Posts
I agree with Slatz - tape the carpet first!

I don't normally use a shield but I don't just slop the paint on. If you cut in the bottom of the base trying to keep the tape clean - there shouldn't be any paint seep under the tape. But if your more confortable with a shield [most anything with a thin straight edge], that will work fine.

Oil base paint on the carpet if not removed while wet is near impossible to remove once dried. You might be able to cut out enough rug fibers to make it less/not noticable. Products like 'oops' and 'goof off' work well on latex paints........... but the best method is to not get any paint on the carpet

Old 01-05-09, 04:51 AM
S
I would use a putty knife to jam a "lip" of tape between the baseboard and the floor. You get the benefits of both the tape and a shield. (A shield gets all the way to the bottom of the baseboard, and the tape stays in place while the paint dries.)

SirWired