peeling kitchen ceiling

Old 01-07-09, 07:27 PM
I
ido
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
peeling kitchen ceiling

The ceiling in the kitchen is peeling. So far there is a 4 square foot area peeled and another area at the other end of the room has a little starting to peel. There is nothing wrong in the attic above and the paint has about 3 layers of oil based paint on a plaster ceiling. How can I prepare the ceiling so that the peeling will stop? I will be installing a fan above the stove before I paint. I think this was the root of the problem.

Old 01-08-09, 03:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 398 Votes on 354 Posts
Is the paint peeling down to raw plaster?

Humidity may have played a role in the paint peeling so exhausting steam from cooking may prevent reoccurance.

I'd scrape off whatever's loose and coat with a solvent based primer. Then spackle and sand the edges of the peeled paint. If you wish to switch to a latex top coat - now would be a good time, just prime the entire ceiling.

Old 01-08-09, 07:07 AM
I
ido
I am sure you are right about the humidity and I hope the fan will correct that problem. I am just worried the peeling will continue after I scape, prime and paint. Thanks for the info on that procedure. Not looking forward to working on a ceiling. Any tips? I have done a lot of painting but this is major work up high.

Old 01-08-09, 07:11 AM
I
ido
Sorry, Yes. Down to raw plaster. Latex top coat in the plans.

Old 01-08-09, 12:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Generally if you scrape what's loose and then prime and paint, there won't be any further problems...... but there's no garuntee

Ceilings are n ever a lot of fun and most of the scraping, sanding and patching will need to be done off of a ladder but using a roller pole with your roller will allow you to atleast do the rolling while standing on the floor. You might want some liniment for your neck when you get done

Old 01-08-09, 06:24 PM
I
ido
Thanks so much for your help and advice. I have done a lot of painting in the house and I do know about painters neck. I was hoping for some miracle cure for the amount of work ahead but I guess I just have to bite the bullet and do it. I have used the long pole and roller...just hate to work off a ladder, and it is a big ceiling. I will sand the rest of the ceiling lightly and wipe it down with TSP before priming...good enough?

Old 01-09-09, 03:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
TSP is a great cleaning agent but I rarely use it inside. It must be rinsed well!!! It can cause adhesion problems if it isn't removed.... so I many use it on the exterior where I can use a pressure washer or garden hose.

Providing there is no grease on the ceiling, a scuff sanding and coat of solvent based primer will do fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: