Colorplace paint by Walmart

Old 01-11-09, 09:40 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Colorplace paint by Walmart

We are painting our master and guestrooms and I want to go with Benjamin Moore paint colors. I tried color matching them at WM and although they came close, they were off.

The colors were Cedar Key, Pismo Dunes, and Shenandoah Taupe.

I had initially read reviews that WM paint is fine, but after browsing here I'm having doubts. I'd really hate to waste money on paint that will just have to be redone.

I'm doing the guestroom myself, but we're hiring a person to do the master bc of the cathedral ceilings.

Any comments on WM paint?

Thanks in advance.

Diane

Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-09, 09:54 AM
S
If your time is at all valuable to you, get decent paint. The ColorPlace isn't even very high-end for Wal-Mart. The ten bucks a gallon you "save" by buying cheap paint is far more likely to cause suffering later.

If you are hard up for cash, try SW ProMar 200; it is a pretty good paint for a pretty good price.

As far as what to use when you hire somebody: let the painter use a brand/product he/she is familiar with. Supplying your own paint saves no money, and you will end up with a poor job, due to the painter not being used to that coating.

SirWired

Old 01-11-09, 10:07 AM
Thank you.

I'm not opposed to SW, but at the two locations I've gone to, the reps were tarts so out of principle I won't go back. The reps at the BM dealers were very helpful, by contrast.

I just want to get the right color, and the easiest application paint.

I never knew this could be so complicated!

Old 01-11-09, 01:26 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 301 Votes on 267 Posts
Often the more expensively priced paint is actually cheaper. If the low grade paint is harder to apply or doesn't cover well [needs an extra coat] it winds up costing more than the higher priced coating.

Old 01-12-09, 03:35 AM
B
If the SW people were a bunch of jerks, then find an independent paint store. You should anyway, they ussually have a more knowledgeable staff. Remember SW is like the Wallmart of paint stores. (high turnover)

Old 01-12-09, 03:36 AM
S
If you have an Ace Hardware nearby, their paint is of very good quality.

Old 01-14-09, 03:24 PM
W
I say just buy the paint at BM you will get your color right and the product will save you money in the long run.

Old 01-20-09, 10:31 PM
I ended up going to Home Depot for some things and saw that their Behr paint was on sale. Because of the reviews I had read on Behr, I was very skeptical. But with the special, it was only $11.98 a can after the discount and mail in rebate, so I tried it.

Luckily, they had the formula for the BM color I wanted. I did it in my powder room and it was so easy to apply. And, I only used one coat! Amazing!

Here are my before and after pics: